Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What to check before 5000 mi ride?

What to check before 5000 mi ride?

I'm planning a longer ride that is starting to look like 5000 miles round trip. Starting in ND to San Diego in 3.5 days then take a random route back at slow pace(around 8-9 days). I'm not sure what all I should be replacing before the trip and don't want to be stuck on the side of the road real bad.

The bike is a 2007 xb12s with 18,500 miles on it. I replaced spark plugs have some Pirelli Angel ST's on the way and plan on some front break pads. Am I forgetting anything? I don't want to go over board and replace the whole bike but if there's anything common to go out on longer trips I would like to get on top of it.

Longest day I've done so far is 450 mi round trip so any advice is appreciated.

Inactive
    personally i would do the below prior to your trip.....and then the additional FOR your trip:
    prior to: carefully check the F&R wheel bearings and belt idler pulley bearings. when they go out....which isn't common...but when they do it is virtually instantaneous. a fresh top quality battery minimum 220 CCA's a must. clean and tight battery terminal connections and grounds a must. check all engine fastener systems for tightness and visible wear. sound good appearing perishables a must. lube the clutch cable and lever perches.
    for your trip: remove your fusebox cover. see your small different colored blade fuses? get 2 of each for spares. see your 3 relays? get 1 of each for a spare. they match up to common ford and chrysler a/c relays and are approx. $4 each. pack them along with the spare blade fuses in tiny plastic bag and put in either your tool kit or tape the bag to bottom front of your battery. you'll be glad you did. lastly..........ear plugs.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Straight from the Buell whisperer and it don't get any better than that.

Fresh oil change/check levels, clean your air filter, check tires for any issues (nails, pins, cracks), take a look at your brake pads to see that they aren't worn down too much...

I'm riding from California to North Dakota in May. Hanging out for a day or so then heading on to upstate New York via Ontario. What Lunatic said is sound info. I'm doing all he said. Also changed to a new belt, brake pads. Put in a comfort kit, (XB12X). I also got a Madsen windshield and a throttle lock for the long drone across Nevada. New tires as well. I got a Wolfman tank bag and a big Wolfman bag for the back seat.
    When are you leaving?

Thanks guys that sounds like a good list! How do I check wheel bearings?
    Just took the wheels off here to put on some Pirelli Angels. They say it's safer with good rubbers ����

I'll be taking off in June

Quote Originally Posted by ndbueller View Post
    Just took the wheels off here to put on some Pirelli Angels. They say it's safer with good rubbers ����

I'll be taking off in June
    I'm leaving California May 16. I'm headed to Cavalier, ND. Looks like we won't get to hi-five along the way since we won't be crossing paths.

I also recommend taking some extra gas if you can. I'm carrying a 1 gallon gas can. 174 miles between gas stations in the part of Nevada I'm going thru.

Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by rchuff View Post
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Straight from the Buell whisperer and it don't get any better than that.
    thanks much for the kind words ricky.

there is no sure-fire way of checking the idler pulley bearings and wheel bearings with all 3 components mounted. a few on here advocate rebuilding your entire bike top to bottom/front to rear prior to a long trip. naturally that's all bull**** but the single biggest potential problem far away from home is a failed idler pulley assembly or wheel bearing. the idler requires a pair of #6203 bearings and they're a cinch to install. buy quality....not chinese garbage. all balls bearing kits work well both front and rear. front bearings straight-forward to remove and install....rear can be quite challenging to remove. if in doubt get help or have a pro do them. pound on the new bearing inner races just one time and they're ruined. just personal preference but the peace of mind that these new bearing sets give on a long trip worth the price of admission. the right rear under alot of drive-line load....the right front continuously exposed to abrasive and corrosive brake dust.
    Last edited by user_deleted; 04-21-2016 at 06:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jl551c View Post
    I'm leaving California May 16. I'm headed to Cavalier, ND. Looks like we won't get to hi-five along the way since we won't be crossing paths.
    What are you going to Cavalier for? I'm PCSing there in about a month (from Florida...) I figured I was going to have the only Buell in the state lol

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast