Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What to check before 5000 mi ride?

Quote Originally Posted by TeamHennis View Post
    What are you going to Cavalier for? I'm PCSing there in about a month (from Florida...) I figured I was going to have the only Buell in the state lol
    I'm going to visit an old friend in Cavalier. Looks like there will be at least two Buells in ND for at least a short time.

Wait, you said PCSing? You're in the military? What military installation is in Cavalier. I thought Minot was the only military around there.

Quote Originally Posted by jl551c View Post
    I'm going to visit an old friend in Cavalier. Looks like there will be at least two Buells in ND for at least a short time.
    There're a few Buells in ND but all the roads are straight and flat in a grid so most go for HD. A quick ride from Cavalier and you can be in MN lakes country and there's some pretty good riding out there.

There is a small station by Cavalier. I was in the panhandle of Florida, which was straight and flat too. Maybe eventually I'll get somewhere with fun roads.

The usual smart guys covered the bike pretty well. I'd also vote for a wheel bearing change. They are cheap to swap now, but that would be a bad day in the middle of Nebraska 18K is time for a fork re-build, but it wouldn't be catastrophic so you could ignore that.

What about prepping your body? Have you ridden that bike 400 miles in a day before? How do your shoulders feel after? Some good core exercises and eating particularly well before the trip can go along way for your own comfort.

I'd be curious to see your packing list. Good helmet? Riding clothes, emergency food, protection, etc. Hotels? Or bag on the road?

When I have the tires mounted and balanced I'll have the shop really look over the bearings and change if needed.

Yeah I've done a 450 mile day mostly interstate but it wasn't all riding...I had an out of town meeting so it was split up with a 3 hour break in between. It really wasn't all that bad. Other than that a 300+ mile a day weekend trip in hotels. Never any camping. I've gone through the route and planned it out to stop around every 50 miles. First one to stretch the legs for a couple min and the second for fuel. I learned that from riding with some older guys and it definitely helps with fatigue at the end of the day. At the first stop I was not ready for a break yet and baffled at why we were stopped but by the end to the day it really helped.
    As for the diet I'm on a pretty strict B&B....(Beer and Bar pizza) but stay really active so that's not much of an issue.

I plan to camp most of the trip which is new(not camping in general just camping on motorcycle) but I'm 2 months out for take off so I want to get the bike ready and do a couple long practice weekends to make sure everything runs smoothly on the bike. Also to test out some new camping gear.
    I don't have a pack list yet but 2 months should be plenty of time to get one together.

Trying to find the fine line between completely winging it and over planning right now.
    I'll be riding with a buddy so I'll have some help if anything really goes wrong and he'll be on a v-star so we won't be pushing record speeds.

Quote Originally Posted by ndbueller View Post
    There're a few Buells in ND but all the roads are straight and flat in a grid so most go for HD. A quick ride from Cavalier and you can be in MN lakes country and there's some pretty good riding out there.
    After Cavalier my route takes me to Duluth, thru a part of Wisconsin, UP of Michigan, into Ontario and then drop into NY around Ogdensberg. Twisties are great, but I'll take whatever the road has to offer.

That's all good to know! Sounds like a bunch of fun, I have a trip coming up as well, Los Angeles to Pikes peak just because. Can't wait!

Don't forget a small first aid kit, with something for road rash. If you bring it, you won't need it!

That sounds like a good trip! To bad you didn't wait a few weeks, Cavalier has a bike ride they call "Sturgis of the North" on Fathers Day Weekend. I've always been fishing with the old man but I hear it's a good time.

Quote Originally Posted by Cooter View Post
    That's all good to know! Sounds like a bunch of fun, I have a trip coming up as well, Los Angeles to Pikes peak just because. Can't wait!

Don't forget a small first aid kit, with something for road rash. If you bring it, you won't need it!
    I'll have Electrical/Duct tape for cuts. If I can't rub a little dirt on it and walk it off there will probably be an ambulance of some sort on the way.

I throw a small bunch of zip ties in my bag. Strangely, they become useful on occasion. First aid kit great idea. Checking misc bolts or nuts for tightness is a good idea. 2 days ago I heard a strange noise with my Uly at idle. I found one of the bolts that secure the pannier frame almost all the way out. Tightened it up and the noise is gone. I checked all the rest and they were all tight. I'd hate to be in the Middle of Nowhere, Nevada and lose one of those bolts.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast