Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: roasting right thigh

roasting right thigh

yes, i did a search.

in stop and go traffic, my right thigh was simply roasting, as in it was very uncomfortable (probably just short of a 1st degree burn). why only the right side?

it seems that the left side communicates with the right side very freely, so heat on the right side being so much greater is odd.

also, why are there vents at the thighs? looking under the tail, there is a huge opening straight to the rear with no obstructions!

is there a way to alleviate this issue?

TIA!

d.

Do a search for "Buell comfort kit" or "Ulysses comfort kit". I don't know where they are available nowadays, but I believe that's what they are for.

Quote Originally Posted by Chicago View Post
    This is not rocket science, I was feeling the burn today too. Thought my pants were on fire. Yep look down, whats on the right side you don't have on the left? ... DA! Exhaust HEADER! Got to keep moving bro, this bike isn't going to be my summer choice that's for sure. It's not even hot yet... YIKES! You can foil pack under the seat but that's not going to stop the heat off the header from rising into your leg when sitting still. I can live with the sweaty balls but you're right that burn is still with me tonight as we speak.

Also since we might be pussies over the issue I would like to add the bruising and very sore/stiff right hand middle finger... I will give you a moment to guess what's causing this

I think I might start a thread called 'you might be a pussy if'
    super helpful....

Yes, like williegoat said look for a Buell comfort kit. EBay will be your source from me as I don't know where else to get them. Also on eBay they sell such kits in various stages, like if you don't want the full kit you can buy parts of it. Let us know how you make out as I've been being lazy and haven't got myself one yet but have cooked the old leg a few times. I also think some guys on here were using HVAC foil backed stuff unde the air box cover.....look around on here. Lots of stuff

Inactive
    in stop and go traffic, my right thigh was simply roasting, as in it was very uncomfortable (probably just short of a 1st degree burn). why only the right side?

regardless of engine size and model all XB's virtually unbearable to the riders' inner right thigh in warm weather and in particular city type traffic. the 4 main reasons are lean stock fueling....header assembly placement....lack of full sized right side air scoop....air-cooled motor. i've found the ulysses exceptionally brutal. folks speak of header wrapping or ceramic coating....full comfort kits....tons of insulation in the underseat area...reprogrammed ecm to change cooling fan on/off modes....the list is long. what has worked for me is the below. does not completely solve the problem but alleviates most of the discomfort:
    1-add a complete right side scoop assembly with following factory part numbers still available:
    inner scoop----M0852.7AA outer scoop----M0851.7AA attachment screws(you need 3) AN1005.3FSS
    2-ulysses comfort kit rear header heat shield
    3-race or custom map installed onto your stock ecm to "add fuel" and alleviate the factory lean conditions.
    4-confirm your factory cooling fan is flawless and functional
    5-always wear long pants in hot temps.

comfort kit installed on a 09 XB12R Attachment 3845

You got the wrong bike

Wear leathers... I wear full leathers (mainly for protection against injury) but they help with the heat significantly.

It goes without saying a right hand scoop is well worth fitting and while you are moving it does a brilliant job but controversially i find that in crawling/stationary traffic it actually stays cooler with no scoop whatsoever! seriously its almost like the plastic that works so well when moving becomes just another block to heat escape when stationary! with no scoop the heat can escape in all directions! look at how it blocks off the engine CIMG0219.jpg 20120211_043359.jpg just my opinion i dont say it works best all the time!

i have the comfort kit on my Uly and it's helped somewhat, especially the part that attaches to the exhaust pipe. The main source of heat though is the gap between the seat and the airbox. I can actually see the cylinder head through the gap! I was going to get one of those Special Ops blankets, but couldn't get ahold of them. I think I'll just find some hi-temp tape or something to block this gap.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast