Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Noticeable power loss ... What's happening?

Noticeable power loss ... What's happening?

Hi all. I'm new to Buell. Picked up a 2007 in nice shape with low mileage. I love the bike!
    It needed an oil change, so I give it Mobil 1 V-twin synthetic 20w50 in the engine and primary/tranny. The engine runs a tad bit quieter and even seems to have less vibration, but the moment I hit the road, I noticed a loss in torque. I used to have to be careful to keep the front wheel on the ground in 1st and 2nd gear. Now it won't come off at all unless I twist the throttle hard at around 5k in 1st. In 5th gear, at WOT it just doesn't have what it did before. The bike still has lots of power and goes great, but there's a noticeable difference. I figured maybe the oil would take a bit of time to break in, but I've ridden it a few times now, and it doesn't seem to be changing.

I've searched around the forum and on google but couldn't find an answer that fits my experience. What do you all think could be happening?
    I have one theory: This is my second bike. My only other, and the one I learned to ride on is an 82 Yamaha Virago. The XB is a whole different world! When I first got on the Buell, I was intimidated. It is plausible that my increase in confidence on the Buell is translating to a perceived decrease in performance... but I really don't think so. There seems to be a distinct change. Even the sound of the exhaust seems suddenly more tame. It used to sound like an angry beast growling...

Anyone else experience a distinct loss in performance following an oil change?
    Last edited by ransomedsoul; 04-23-2016 at 11:54 PM.

Don't use synthetic in the primary.
    Well, that's what I recommend.
    I use formula plus. It can be found at any Harley dealer. I know, I hate those places too but to me it's a necessary evil.
    I put synthetic in my primary ONCE. I didn't like the way it felt. Was as if the clutch was slipping, probably what you're describing as a power loss.
    Anyway, try switching your primary fluid and let us know what you think.
    I ride my bike HARD. And I felt a big difference between synthetic and formula plus.
    Others might suggest amsoil or another non Harley fluid but I stick to what I know. And I know formula plus works real well for me in the primary. Also, I can take a quick ride to my local HD, make fun of the chromos, and have my fluid within 30min of leaving the house.
    Go with what you want but as an experienced Bueller I say stay away from synthetic in the clutch/primary.

Everyone is going to say something different. I use Mobil 1 in both and all seems fine with me. Both try what chicknstripn said.

I only know what I've experienced.
    On the same note, make sure your clutch is adjusted properly.
    Reference the service manual if you have questions.
    www.buellmods.com if you don't have a service manual

Top end rebuild. Break in with a crude conventional oil

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ransomedsoul View Post
    Even the sound of the exhaust seems suddenly more tame. It used to sound like an angry beast growling...
    Check and maintain the interactive exhaust valve. It looks like the interactive exhaust valve had been opened (improper adjustment and lack of exhaust valve maintenance, rusted cable, rusted valve, lack of the cable and the valve lubrication, etc) and this is the reason of higher power and higher sound before you maintained the motorcycle. This is not power loss, this is your motorcycle went to normal power because of the exhaust valve somehow had been closed.

Lube the valve cable and the valve itself. Check the servo. Check the owner manual to see how to adjust the interactive exhaust valve properly.

But it won't help to bring the power back. If you need more power, install different exhaust system and engine control module.
    Last edited by TPEHAK; 04-24-2016 at 05:53 AM.

I know it probably isnt the problem but just check your levels, is there a chance you may have overfilled it? worth checking anyway!

How did I miss that last part about the exhaust!
    I need to read all the facts! Sheesh
    I agree with TPEHAK.
    Also agree with Tone.

How many miles are on your bike and what type of exhaust(and other possible mods) does it have?
    If it's a jardine your issue could be that you need a repack.
    If it's stock your issue could be with the exhaust servo. Good thinking TPEHAK.

Hey all. I'm sorry, I didn't know anyone had responded. I was supposed to get notifications when a reply was posted, but I didn't.

Thank you for all the responses. A couple of you got it right. The exhaust is stock. I had previously rigged the exhaust valve cable open, and when I did the oil change, I decided to hook it back to the servo. I forgot I had done that until later and decided to switch it back to see if that could be it... WOW! I can't believe how much difference it makes! I guess I'll leave it that way. I just get a little worried about any problems it may cause, but I've read that others have had it that way for thousands of miles with no adverse effects...

Thank you for posting the final solution

Most people get lazy and don't, but it helps people search in the future!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast