Thread: whats a 1200 out of a 96 S2 worth???

whats a 1200 out of a 96 S2 worth???

I've got an opportunity to buy a motor from a 96 s2 that has unknown mileage, ran, was in a chopper. Supposed to have had top end done once... what would yo guys give for it and be honest i dont wanna be stuck with it if it ends up being not so fresh! and what should i check for other than appearing to not leak like crazy and maybe rolling it over??

Oh,and has no carb. Otherwise complete. He's asking $300. I had hinted at 2 to 250 if it looked good. ?

Oh,and has no carb. Otherwise complete. He's asking $300. I had hinted at 2 to 250 if it looked good. ? He's about 2.5 hours away too which sucks.

Bumpity bump bump?

I dunno Buelly. What are you going to use it for? Another chopper project? Spare parts? Not having a carb drops it's value a lot to me. They can be expensive

Pull the plugs and see if it rotates smoothly, look at the tops of the pistons, pull the valve covers and look for wear, pull the cam cover and look at the lobes and lifters. IMO, it would have to be super, super, cheap for me to take it home.

If the motor was two hours away from me I would buy it for $300.... The sportster guys eat those motors all day for $1000 running.
    All you need to do is pull the plugs and rotate the motor two full revs forward then backwards to see if it has a lower end problem.
    Make sure it has the ignition system.
    Then buy a s&s shorty "e" carb for about $125 used and your set.... You have a motor for $425

: also I'm assuming it has the primary.... Look in the inspection cover and smell the fuild... Old chopper guy usually take better care of the motors then buell guys....