Thread: High beam indicator light instead of neutral and oil

High beam indicator light instead of neutral and oil

I have a 2008 XB12 STT. When I turn on the ignition instead of the neutral and low oil pressure lights lighting, the blue, high beam indicator light lights. The yellow check engine light goes of for a few seconds and the needles sweep the speedometer and tachometer dials. The engine does not turn over. When I turn the key to off, the high beam indicator light remains on and now the neutral and low oil pressure lights light. The engine still does not turn over.
    Any suggestions? I've checked the head light wires connections and they are OK.

Thanks.

Inactive
    that's an odd one but try the below for starters:
    1-do you have any neutral light at all? if not it is the neutral safety switch which is behind the front belt drive pulley and a cheaply priced parts. a bad switch will cause oddities with both the bike and the gauge package.
    2-look up under the front of the bike while kneeling down. you will find 4 thin black wires affixed to a pair of shiny silver wire eyelets which are attached to either the lower steering triple clamp or the front of the steering neck. those are your grounds for front of the bike. check them closely for tightness, cleanliness and firm attachment.
    3-eliminate the battery as the cause by simply jumping it and see if the bike starts normally and gauge cluster acts normally. if jumping from another vehicle that vehicles should be OFF. if bike acts normally and starts up your battery is the culprit.
    4-prior to doing #3 check your main ground wires. there are 2 affixed to the frame area with a large torx screw under the seat. follow the negative cable to the frame. that is the main ground attachment point and there are the main ground wires. then check the large dog-bone braided ground which is under airbox base plate and easy to identify. the ground wire is thick large unshielded braided wire.
    Last edited by user_deleted; 04-25-2016 at 08:15 PM.

Thanks lunaticfringe,

1: The neutral safety switch tests fine and the phenomenon remains if I connect the lead to the neutral safety switch directly to ground.
    2: I tested the ground wires and they appear well connected and have no resistance to round when tested with a conductivity meter.
    3: It is not the battery.
    4: All the grounds you listed in point 4 tested as in point 2.

I also swapped the ECM with a spare and that did not change the problem.

You state that your issue is not the battery. Can you give any background info on the battery? Is it brand new? Is this why you're sure it's not the culprit.
    Have you checked all the connections behind the front pulley cover? Issues with those connectors can cause problems.
    Have you checked the main harness, under airbox base and seat, for any frayed areas?
    Do all your fuses check out?
    And last but not least, when was the last time the bike started and ran?

It is a relatively new battery. It tested at 13.1 and 13.3 volts across the terminals with two different volt meters.
    Hooking the battery overnight to a charger did not change the problem or the voltage across the terminals.
    The connections behind the front pulley cover seemed firm and shorting the neutral safety switch to ground didn't change the problem.
    I tested conductivity for all the fuses and they were OK.
    The bike started and ran right up until it failed to start and the current problem arose.
    I cannot see any frayed or broken wires from the ECM.
    I'm afraid I'm mystified.

Check the actual wiring to the ignition switch. Try the ole wiggle test. Key on, wiggle the crapmout of the wiring coming from the ignition/key tumbler and see if anything changes.
    Have you swapped your relays around? Could be the ignition relay on the fritz.
    I'm no electrical guru, so I'm grasping a straws with you.
    Sorry I'm not much help.
    Hopefully a more knowledgeable Bueller will chime in.

Inactive
    Have you swapped your relays around? Could be the ignition relay on the fritz

this...what carlos mentioned. swap them and see what change if any you find. have seen a faulty ignition relay do some very odd electrical things.