Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Buell plastic scratch removal

Bloody Wanker is what you get when you don't do it right!

Ha ha. I will find out tomorrow. I'm pulling all my plastics to polish with rubbing compound and polishing compound. Using a Mothers adapter for my 19VDC drill. Your right that variable speed helps, a lot. Most important is never let it go dry. TRIED TO GIVE YOU A REP POINTS FOR THE F*#KING WRITE UP (W/PICTURES!).

Actually, it says that your a point slut and your shameless.

I like scratches! ha ha ha

Subscribed, unless someone wants to buy a set of black Firebolt plastics that could use some polishing lol.

Good write up Cooter.

been playing with a spare black airbox cover. Wanted to sand down the whole thing. Removed the Buell labels and thought that I wouldn't have to sand far to get rid of the color change from the sun. Been using #320 3m Scotchbrite pads. Have removed about .010-.015 of entire surface. I can still see the label outline so I'll have to remove a couple of more. Work on it about a hour a night. What I have found interesting is that I have revealed a molding error and exposed a 'grain' in the airbox cover where it translates to the belt-buckle area where a lot of scratches occur from street riding. The defect is from the injected plastic into the mold not having reached operating temperature. It produces a 'grain effect' that visually looks just like the tight rings in a tree stump. The sanding so far hasn't revealed a density difference so the grain is visual only.
    Last edited by mrlogix; 05-25-2016 at 01:57 AM. Reason: how do you set the spell check to Hillbilly?

That's really interesting, let us know if sanding more makes it better or worse? I haven't run across that issue. yet.

You wet sanding?
    I've gone from 60 grit all the way to 2000 grit and been very successful removing some serious road rash.
    I usually finish up with a high quality scratch remover.

320 grit wet sanding with light to medium hand pressure. Surface is buffing up well, just commenting on what I found. No texture to the grain, just visual. I used to work in the plastics industry and this would have been a defect where I worked. We will see when I get to the rubbing and polishing compound phase. Wish I had a digital camera.

I finally polished my set I had laying around. If you guys need 220, your plastics must be really bad. I started with 800 on a fender that I thought was bad and had rock chips. Also, I sanded down to 2500, then used Novus 3, 2, and 1, covered with a good glaze. I tried only going to 1000, but was taking forever to get those marks out even with my buffer, and the extra steps of grit really didn't take much time.

Novus 3

Done

Half way through, I think this was after Novus 3?

Finished

Airbox finished

see how AZmidget's airbox cover has a screen in the area around the gas cap, is that something that only came on XB-R's?

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast