Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What Buell things DONT you like?

I hate that I only have 2 of them. Love my Buells .

I have always had a MAJOR gripe...sounds like a good movie character... "Major Gripe! Just what the heck do you think you're complaining about!!"... anyway, I've always found something I just can't live with with almost every bike I've owned.

Some are fixable like:
    Muffler sucks, bars suck, seat sucks. You can change most of it cheaply, but all of them start to add up.

Some are unfixable:
    Numb hands-neck-back in the first 5 miles, too small or big, can't turn a corner, too slow, too expensive to keep (Thanks, you awesome, gorgeous, Ducati)

Some are odd like:
    Engine doesn't sound 'right' , hard to clean, too much chrome plastic (God, I hate that crap), sometimes you just can't put your finger on it. I've tried to love many bikes that just don't love me back

The XB's tick so many of the good boxes off for me, that I'm willing to forgive (or change) the minor flaws that are left. They are inexpensive, dependable and simple to work on, rare-ish, interesting tech, and just a little odd.

I've had crappy beat up Lightnings that were super fun, I've also had spectacular examples I was afraid to put mileage on. Even being a little finicky can be endearing. A little personality goes a long way with me.

I used to think about giving up the CR, because I couldn't do any decent mileage (400+ miles) comfortably. That's a deal-breaker for me.
    High bars and drop pegs totally changed that bike

One word TORX I have had to drill out a bunch of them

That's the thing; even with all the things I don't like, I ain't gettin rid of mine.....EVER. I've been riding 42 years, am 62 yrs. old and have owned the following bikes; 78 Honda 360 (New), Kawasaki KZ 650 SR (new), 78 Honda Gold Wing GL 1000 (used, like new), 80 Honda Gold Wing 1200 (used, like new), 1978 Sportster 1000 (AMX)....terrible bike, 1981 Suzuki GS 550 (used, like new), 2003 Honda Valkyrie (used, like new), 1999 Yamaha Virago 1100 (used, like new), 1995 1200 Sportster (new), 1996 1200 Sportster Sport (used, like new), 2001 Harley Dyna Superglide FXDX (used, like new), 2009 Buell XB1200XT. I know I've forgotten a couple. Anyway, the Buell is the most fun bike of any of them. If they still made the Ulysses I'd have a new one on order as I know they would have continued to upgrade to do away with most of the gripes I've listed above. I have to add that I was shocked at how well the '01 Superglide handles. DAMN! 620 lbs. that goes through a corner like it's on RAILS. It will easily give my XB a run for it's money in the twisties. It does have a 95" kit, 42 mm Mukuni and 2:1 Supertrapp so it hauls. It rides like a Cadillac as well. That bike will never leave either.

Inactive
    header heat.

Chinese made rims....

Lack of a/c

Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by jl551c View Post
    Chinese made rims....
    seriously ward? they're actually top quality wheels originally manufactured by BrixiaMoto in Italy. some of the better ones i've ever worked on or with.

Quote Originally Posted by lunaticfringe View Post
    seriously ward? they're actually top quality wheels originally manufactured by BrixiaMoto in Italy. some of the better ones i've ever worked on or with.
    Yea I know they're good rims, I just wish they said Made in America on my American made motorcycle.

Oh yeah the one other thing i dont personally like are the seat rail jack up kits but that may be because i am vertically challenged! (a short arse!) ha ha ha

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast