Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2004 blast previous salvage ?excessive valve train noise???

2004 blast previous salvage ?excessive valve train noise???

Alright i hate posting "i have a noise" threads, but wth... So 2004 blast 15,000 miles. i got from a copart auction and i am totally upside down in, ive fixed the shifter, blinkers, mirrors, new battery etc. Done an oil change (both holes) and adjusted the primary. the little thing seems to run really really well, just took her for her first highway ride and it had no problems getting over 90mph! but at a specific rpm range i get a ring/rattle that seems to be coming from the top end, im having a hard time pin pointing it with the old screw driver stethascope. Under load and at idle (maybe a bit loud @ idle but it is a buell after all!) everything sounds awesome. almost seems like something on the bike is rattling, but i cant find a thing. i dont want to tear the top end apart i just wanted to save this little buell from the scrap yard!

https://youtu.be/vvfxsV9Vrho

I think it's the purple that is the problem

I'm not a Blast guy, but I am an engine guy. That is tappet noise for sure. Adjust the valves.

Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooter View Post
    I think it's the purple that is the problem

I'm not a Blast guy, but I am an engine guy. That is tappet noise for sure. Adjust the valves.
    valve adjustment with hydraulic lifters? i have GOT to hear about this procedure.

not a blast expert but sure sounds like excessive valve train lash. i would try the "mechanic in the can" fix first before tearing into it. perhaps a portion of engine flush run thru the oiling system with old filter for a bit....then drain and replace filter..then refill with fresh quality 20-50 and see what you have. worth a few bucks in oil and a filter to see if that quells the disturbance.
    Last edited by user_deleted; 05-06-2016 at 12:59 PM.

Ya. Hydraulic or not, Don't they still have adjustments on the rocker pivot or rocker tip? (Like I said, I'm not a Blast guy...) If not then yer screwed

There is excessive wear on the cam lobes, pushrods (or bent), lifters (or collapsed), rockers (or bent), or mushroomed valve tips.

You could try straight 60w oil (like mechanic in a can) and it may quiet it down, but watch those cold starts!

Sure it's a DOHC engine, but gives mad respect to what the valve train does:
    Start at 1:00 in.

https://www.facebook.com/MotorcycleS...type=2&theater

Remember the crank is going twice as fast!
    Last edited by Cooter; 05-06-2016 at 05:56 PM.

10/4 on the mechanic in a can. I think this thing just needs a little TLC. Was filthy when I picked it up and low on oil so I'll give some 60 a shot after a couple rides.

That's one of three things...a collapsed lifter, bent pushrod or backwards pushrods.

1. Take the pushrods out and roll them on your kitchen counter, or a good slate cutting board, and you'll know if one's bent.
    2. The longer pushrod should be on the exhaust side.
    3. If the rods are straight and on the correct side, you're going to have to pull the head and replace the lifters. The good thing is, all XB's and Blasts use the same lifter...so just find a good set and drop them in.

Inactive
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ there ya go bagger. he's the go-to site guy for blasts.

Well if you need parts I could send you some of the ones you sold me for my blast-ket case project that you sold me. Same deal you gave me, pay for shipping.

Thank jetlee! You are the blast man for sure!
    Thanks for the offer chief I'll let ya know
    20160505_165910.jpg
    Last edited by BuellyBagger; 05-07-2016 at 06:32 PM.

Just sold it, going to be a young man's 1st bike. Him and his dad did some research on the noise,actually found this thread lol! Hope it's a good bike for em. Shoot hope he joins the forum!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast