Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How to hold bike upright?

How to hold bike upright?

I need to be able hold my bike upright with both wheels still flat on the ground while i put my rear stand in place and lift the bike onto it (without help from someone) as due to my disability i only have the use of one arm for this particular job! Its baffling me at the moment so any ideas would as always be gratefully received! Thanks chaps!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Baxley-Sport...lXIOOC&vxp=mtr

Tone, Might try a front wheel chock. Here is a hi-end one, you can get a cheaper on for about $50-$75 bucks.

Thanks for the suggestion i should have said i even have a problem with those, i cant push the bike into them due to the arm problem and i cant do it sitting on the bike either due to my damaged leg! both injuries are on my the right side which limits me even more! lol appreciate your input mate thanks!

May sound a bit silly/crazy, but I've hung my bike from the rafters with some good rachet straps. Could use them to put just enough tension to hold it up right on the wheels?

Hey Tone, hope all is well with you and Julia and Tiny. Does your rear stand use spools or pad
    s on the swingarm to lift the bike? If it is spools, I may have an idea.

Hello mate all good here thanks i hope its the same for you too, i can use spools or pads but as it happens the stand i want to use is in fact spools its this one images (4).jpg

Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by BuellyBagger View Post
    May sound a bit silly/crazy, but I've hung my bike from the rafters with some good rachet straps. Could use them to put just enough tension to hold it up right on the wheels?

tony: what bagger mentioned is quite do-able with the use of only your one arm, a pair of tie-downs, a pair of soft straps, and a ladder. i know you tea and krimpet blokes over there are quite fond of your "sheds" so if it has over head supports or rafters of any type the ratched method works great. i do it frequently. in essence you pick a rafter...park your XB under it with handlebars directly under rafters. put a 1.5 inch block of wood under the sidestand and a block of wood in front of and behind of the rear tire. put soft strap around each grip towards end...a simple hook into rafter 6 inches outboard from each handlebar end (if bars for ie. 30 inches wide your hooks will be 42 inches apart or close to that)...attach tie down to hook then to soft tie down loop with racheting end towards the rafter.....and gently pull each ratchet a bit alternating sides on each pull. it gently stands the bike up and holds it firm vertically. do this IN AN X PATTERN for stability.

That would totally work^^^^^

Alternatively, you could test the maximum height block that fits under your kick stand but still allows the bike to sit on it's own. With the bike that close to level, a rear spool stand should be able to be installed without touching the bike.

Like this:
    With the bike on it's kickstand, use your hip to push it towards center (not too far), and use your foot to put the block under the kickstand, then let the bike back down to rest the kickstand on the block. Now you can get the stand under the left side spool and lift. It should center the bike and bring the right side spool to the right side of the stand.

I'll go try it now, and let you know what happens!

take a picture of the spool adapters on your stand with a ruler for scale. I will also need the diameter of the shaft that the spool adapters have. If we make the spool adapters longer, where you can position the hooks on both spools even when the bike is on it's side stand you will be able to push the stand own with your foot while you hold the bike up. I was just putting my bike on it's rear stand the other night when I thought about modifying the spool adapters on mine to accomplish this and make it easier to do it with one hand.

British telecom broadband is sh1te!! right now to catch up and sorry if i miss anything out, firstly thank you everyone you are all pretty darn amazing! Buelly thats a brilliant idea i could do that i reckon thanks!... John (lunatic) you have us "crumpet munchers" sussed lol i do in fact have an 8ft x 10ft shed with low apex roof and there is only one medium strength cross member with an open area of about 18 inches so buelly`s suggestion would work and i like your suggestion of the tie downs in the "X" shape (see i wouldnt have thought of that) but they would have to be set inboard of the bar ends by about the amount you said to do outboard but it would still work and be safe, i would fit them sitting on the bike then get off and fit the stand! thanks!... cooter thats a good idea too but the big yellow stripe down my back may stop me trying that! lol good luck with your attempt though! thanks! and... John (mrlogix) i love the way you think, your ideas are always "outside the box" (thats a complement by the way!) and again i wouldnt have thought of that and yep that could work i reckon, the only concern i may have is the pushing down with or balancing on my bad leg, the knee is barely hanging in there and could pop out at anytime now i know you cant spend your life saying "what if" but when it goes then knee joint fusion is the only option as its been rebuilt a couple of times! Sorry if i sound a wimp or negative in any way and it may be easy to push the stand down so i will get those photos/measurements tomorrow if thats ok? You chaps are the Best!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast