Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: rider down

So last night my friend and I were out for a nice ride enjoying the 80 degree weather. He decided to show off a little and pulled a wheelie up on his 02 Yamaha FZ 1000.

Needless to say that when he pulled up he was at too high of an RPM and went straight over backwards about 50 feet in front of me at about 60 MPH.

He slid on the pavement for about 100 feet and the bike tumbled about 150 feet the hit the guard rail and flipped over into the brook on the other side.

He was only wearing a t-shirt, pants and a helmet. He didnt hit anything thankfully. over all he made out ok with road rash on 40% of his upper body and one little spot on his leg..

He will be back to normal in about 2-3 weeks.

So I guess the moral to this story is to wear that gear... if he had my jacket and gloves on he would have been back to work today instead of the DR's office half of the day

Matt

Sorry to hear about your friend. Going down is never good. It sucks that he's hurt, but he is seriously lucky that it wasn't worse considering the speed.

There is no excuse for not wearing your gear. If its too hot to wear your gear, then its too hot to ride, end of story. I don't mean this as an insult at all, but I feel it needs to be said.

amen brother! almost same thing happened to me. short and sweet drunk bff fell off grabbed my right arm i went up... street went left..... no helmet ( first time last time) head + curb = 4 days ICU for me, ONE HOUR FOR HIM@ DR. and my baby thrashed.

Well matt if your buddy was riding a BUELL this would've never happened, instead he was riding a YAMAHA

No, I'm only kidding. That's horrible man. We all need to ride with our gear FAITHFULLY like as if our life depends on it, AND sadly sometimes like times like this, truly it does.

Glad your friends ok.......Definitely wear that gear. I get looked at funny around here all the time for a jacket/gloves and helmet. I used to wear my Sidis all the time too but dont do any real hardcore (for me) riding anymore.

Its Harley country ..if your wearing a helmet...your a pussy. I love pussy so Ill wear mine thanks ;)

Here we have a saying ATGATT, All The Gear All The Time. simple. ATGATT.

Glad your buddy is ok.

yeah gear is a defenite for sure for me now. the only thing is that ne never rode with a jacket because he never had one .

well insurance came and looked at his bike and already paid him. so instead of another bike he is going to buy a bulldozer.... should have better luck with that one

so instead of another bike he is going to buy a bulldozer
    WTF?

On the gear...
    I don't always wear riding pants (sometimes wear normal jeans). But I always wear motorcyle specific helmet, gloves, and jacket and good pair of full toe, over the ankle shoes.

With the mesh jackets out there is no reason, no matter the weather, not to wear proper gear. If you don't have the cash to buy riding gear, you can't afford to ride. What cost more a 350 dollar jacket or just 1 day in the hospital (not to mention the time away from work).

I watched my little brother low side, slide across 3 lanes, then 80' down a bank into a tree. By the time I got back to look over the bank he was half way back up the bank, bitchin' about scuffing his new leathers (it was his first ride with the full leathers). But other than his ego and his new leathers, he was fine. He actually made the 3 hour ride back to the house (after we ziptied/ducktaped his bike back together).

I always wore a helmet and a decent jacket before that. But watching him slide like that and have nothing wrong other than a few minor bruises and general soreness, I decided to wear the right gear all the time.

^^^^ That's an awesome story!!!! One of the best I've read on here, that's for sure!

Dang, the thread read "Rider DOWN" I was dreading reading it fearing for the worst. Thankfully it's another story that pushes the subject of wearing the proper gear; where the rider is alive.

For those that don't wear the gear, It CAN and most likely WILL happen to you eventually. Invest in the proper gear and wear it!

Thanks for sharing 03fire9R

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast