Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Xb12r will not start

Xb12r will not start

My 04 xb12r goes through its normal on sequence, but when I hit the starter button, nothing happens, no clicks, pops or anything.

Normal start sequence:
    Bike is in neutral, turn key, both needles wind up and back down. The neutral light is light, the oil light is lit. The check eng light illuminates for a few seconds, then goes out. I hit the kill switch into run position, I hear the fuel pump pressurizing, I pull the clutch in, ( not that I had to before this problem occurred) and hit the starter button, a d nothing. Everything is lit up the same as before, just no reaction from the bike when the starter button is hit. I swapped my relays and nothing has changed .

I feel it worth the mention that I just got this bike a month ago, and I've never had to have the clutch pulled in to start it. Also, it seems to be without a kickstand switch, because I can take off with the kickstand down.

Where do I go from here

The first thing I would do is make sure that you are getting power to and from your starter button. Test light or mulitimeter will do for this.

Inactive
    not all XB's left the factory with the sidestand interlock safety switch. your start procedure is correct. try this:
    1.remove the pair of wires that connect to your clutch lever safety interlock switch. with small jumper wire connect the 2 factory wires together. now try to start.
    2-remove front plastic pulley cover...3 torx screws. look at front of pulley and behind it. that is your neutral safety switch. remove the rubber covered plug....clean....using needle nose pliers GENTLY press the inner plug together to give it a bit more tautness....reattach....replace cover. now try.
    3-if #1 and #2 above don't resolve it you may have a corroded or faulty "start switch" in your right handlebar control switchgear housing. if so remove the housing, access the switch, and clean.
    report back with findings.

Yup. I second that.
    Bypass the clutch switch by connecting the wires together at the lever.
    Check for continuity at the yellow button.

UPDATE, I checked the battery, its at 12.4v I also checked all of the fuses and relays and they are all good. Still have to check the continuity at the switch and at the starter.
    How would I do this with just a multimeter?

UPDATE: I checked the continuity at the right handlebar switch, there seems to be only two wires in the switch itself, I checked those and they run the same current as I'm getting from the battery. So that is good, I have no spare piece of wire to bypass the clutch with.
    Also, I'm going to mention that I never had to pull the clutch in to get the bike to start, and it has always weak started for me every time I have started it.

Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by neilrl79 View Post
    The first thing I would do is make sure that you are getting power to and from your starter button. Test light or mulitimeter will do for this.
    neil: this newbie conveniently forgot to mention that he violently crashed this bike during a "wheelie gone wrong" months ago. don't waste any more time on this.
    http://www.buellxb.com/forum/showthr...t-Engine-Mount
    Last edited by user_deleted; 05-14-2016 at 10:13 AM.

Cut me some slack, that happened in march of 2015. It was on my first sports bike, my 05 scg. I started on a turd harley and had no idea what i was getting myself into with the scg's monster torque. I whiskey throttled and ended up in a ditch. I was in full gear and walked away with nothing more than a bruised ego. one engine mount and a new take on riding later, i was back on the road. I went the suzuki way after the buell, and after 6 months of riding it, i traded it in for my 04 xb12r. I plan on keeping this buell in great condition and i appreciate all the tips i can get. We all start somewhere.......

^^^^^^^^^^^^( I plan on keeping this Buell in great condition ) Doesn't sound like your starting off that way!

This could be as simple as your battery is low. Try charging it with a battery tender until the light goes green. It might take a day or two.
    If my battery gets too low, it won't turn over but I will get all the lights you stated.

Do you hear the fuel pump priming when you flip the engine cut off switch to the ON position?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast