Thread: Replacing the primary chain

Replacing the primary chain

I checked my primary chain at the start of the season, and I found that one spot was in spec, and the other end was way loose. This is telling me that my chain is stretched, and I'd like to go ahead and replace it. Is this job a pain in the ass? Would I need to remove one or both of the sprockets to do this? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

You will have to remove both sprockets to remove the chain and install the new chain. You will also need the sprocket locking bar to loosen the bolt and nut. Make sure you have a breaker bar handy and a heat gun if the bolt and nut give you trouble. I literally just did the job this morning. Note that the engine sprocket nut is reverse threaded.

P.s. Two sets of hands are handy when removing the sprockets and installing them, but you can do it alone.
    Last edited by ocgreenmachine; 05-14-2016 at 10:23 PM.

Correction- the engine sprocket nut is not reverse thread. The clutch side is

Crash is correct. I meant the nut holding the clutch basket/sprocket for the primary chain. You wouldn't remove the drive sprocket on the right side of the bike anyways.

Banned
    It is enough to unscrew just the clutch basket to replace the primary chain, don't touch the engine sprocket. You need sprocket locking tool or metal plate to lock the sprockets, breaker bar (1/2-Inch Drive 30-Inch length minimum) and big torque wrench to get the work done. If you have necessary tools and motorcycle swingarm stand it is easy and does not take much time, see and follow service manual. You will need primary cover gasket, new primary chain itself and I would recommend you to replace the primary chain tensioner, you also might need to replace the clutch shaft seal and gaskets for the inspection covers. Since your promary chain is excessively worn the tensioner should be worn even worst.

How many miles on the motorcycle? What is the motorcycle year?
    Last edited by TPEHAK; 05-15-2016 at 06:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by TPEHAK View Post
    It is enough to unscrew just the clutch basket to replace the primary chain, don't touch the engine sprocket. You need sprocket locking tool or metal plate to lock the sprockets, breaker bar (1/2-Inch Drive 30-Inch length minimum) and big torque wrench to get the work done. If you have necessary tools and motorcycle swingarm stand it is easy and does not take much time, see and follow service manual. You will need primary cover gasket, new primary chain itself and I would recommend you to replace the primary chain tensioner, you also might need to replace the clutch shaft seal and gaskets for the inspection covers. Since your promary chain is excessively worn the tensioner should be worn even worst.

How many miles on the motorcycle? What is the motorcycle year?
    How do you pull the clutch basket/sprocket without pulling the engine sprocket? The chain doesn't have enough slack for me to pull the basket off without moving the engine sprocket out at the same time...

Banned
    Have you already tried to remove the chain with clutch basket? The chain has enough slack to be removed with clutch basket without removing the engine sprocket, the chain will stay on the engine sprocket once you disengage the clutch basket from the shaft and from the chain. Just pull the clutch basket, once the clutch basket is disengaged with the shaft disengage the clutch basket sprocket from the chain. To install the primary chain back put the primary chain on the engine sprocket, then engage the clutch basket with the primary chain, then put the clutch basket on the shaft. I removed the primary chain with clutch basket with no issues on 2009 Buell XB12 Scg. It might be a little bit tricky but it is possible. I'm not sure If I would be able to remove the chain trying to pull the engine sprocket and the clutch basket simultaneously because the engine sprocket has very strong magnets and tight fit with the engine shaft and it is impossible to pull all this stuff at the same time without special tool or second person.

I do not remember exactly if I removed the clutch compression ring and the clutch friction plates before I was able to remove the clutch basket, but I feel I was able to remove the clutch basket without removing all those internal components of the clutch basket.
    Last edited by TPEHAK; 05-15-2016 at 07:39 AM.

Lol I was able to remove both the engine sprocket and the clutch basket sprocket at the same time. I guess there are two ways to do the same thing.

Its much earier doing both sprockets at the same time. Its one more bolt. Then everything slides off. It doesnt take 2 people and the magnets are not so strong it needs a special tool. Taking the clutch basket off without the front just makes you jack with it forever and frustrating.