Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Motor just stops running

Motor just stops running

My bike is a 2006 xb12 with 32000 runs great. Until last night went for a hour ride stopped for an hour brake then continued back home when about 15 min going down a hill the motor just quit check engine light came on gages working so I cycled the kill switch off and on the motor starter running perfect again no back fire ran fine for a nother 10 min then happened again cycled the kill switch run fine again it shut down again and again same thing till I got home. Any ideas of what is up with it??

Do the lights go out?
    Do the gauges sweep?
    Does it just shut off like the key was turned off? Or does it stutter and die?
    You "cycled the kill switch". As you are riding and just popped the clutch to start it again? Or did you stop?

A total guess is that you are losing ignition power. Typically the XB's can have wiring issues by the steering neck. Try swapping the ignition relay with another one and see if that helps. Check the continuity in your kill switch on the handle bars and wiggle it, does it lose continuity?

Quote Originally Posted by Cooter View Post
    Do the lights go out?
    Do the gauges sweep?
    Does it just shut off like the key was turned off? Or does it stutter and die?
    You "cycled the kill switch". As you are riding and just popped the clutch to start it again? Or did you stop?

A total guess is that you are losing ignition power. Typically the XB's can have wiring issues by the steering neck. Try swapping the ignition relay with another one and see if that helps. Check the continuity in your kill switch on the handle bars and wiggle it, does it lose continuity?
    The lights stay on the gauges are on steady I didn't have to pop the clutch it happened going downhill and on the freeway so it was costing in 5 th gear.

It doesn't stutter it just quits running like you turned it off but all the lights stay on. The cel lights up but goes off when it started running.

If you have ecmspy there should be a stored code in the ecm because your engine light went on. Plug in and go to diagnostics .

ECMSpy and a cable (I have one if you need it). Or ECMDroid and a Bluetooth dongle for a wireless connection (I have one of those too if you need it) Look at Buelltooth.com for instructions.

so...A total guess is that you are losing ignition power.

Typically the XB's can have wiring issues by the steering neck.Start it and turn the bars lock to lock, stick your hand in there and wiggle...does it stall?
    Try swapping the ignition relay with another one and see if that helps. You can also find a replacement at an auto parts store. Take it an and it matches up with an A/c relay for a chrysler

Check the continuity in your kill switch on the handle bars and wiggle it, does it lose continuity? Take it off the bars and check it with a multi meter

I was thinking the fuel pump was not pumping fuel when the motor stopped running. Then when I turned the kill off and back on again it shocked the pump to run again and the motor would start running. Because if the pump was running the whole time wouldn't the motor backfire with the extra fuel in it? I don't have a EMC spy or cable would that tell me about a problem like this?

No. Why are you guessing at random crap and not trying to diagnose anything?

Either ECMSpy and a cable (I have one if you need it), or ECM Droid and a bluetooth connector (I have one if you need it) will communicate with the bike and give you diagnostic tools. Look at Buelltooth.com for instructions.

so...A total guess is that you are losing ignition power.

Typically the XB's can have wiring issues by the steering neck.Start it and turn the bars lock to lock, stick your hand in there and wiggle...does it stall?
    Try swapping the ignition relay with another one and see if that helps. You can also find a replacement at an auto parts store. Take it an and it matches up with an A/c relay for a chrysler

Check the continuity in your kill switch on the handle bars and wiggle it, does it lose continuity? Take it off the bars and check it with a multi meter

I hooked up ecmspy and got a archive code 33 fuel pump short to ground I found the wire inside the pump had the plastics coating worn and touching metal repaired it test drove the bike still had the problem. Did the wiggle test took the kill switch off all check fine. Replaced the ignition relay that solved the problem. Thanks Cooter for the help you sure know your Buells.

I went for a ride today and the problem is back not happening as much but it did shut down then I switched the kill switch off and back on again it started running fine and didn't happen the rest of the ride about an hour. There is no code this time to read I'm stumped.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast