Thread: 2008 XB12R Engine help, please!!!

2008 XB12R Engine help, please!!!

Hello all....I am hoping someone can help shed some light on what I think is probably a mistake...on my part.

I purchased a 1203 Thunderstorm Buell Engine out of a wrecked 2008 XB12R (Anniversary Edition). A client of mine had used a Sportster 1200 engine to power hydraulic pumps for a project and though that project we discovered that the power curves and the gearing via the transmissions are great for powering hydrostats (goofy project). The Buell power curves looked to be even better than the Sportsters', so I snatched this engine up when I found it.

I do have the throttle body and all the sensors that were on the engine, but no ECU or wiring harness. My intentions were to replace the EFI with a Mikuni HSR42 and an Ultima Ignition (nose cone type), as my client had recommended (he had done this with his engine), and I bought the components to do so.

Problem is....this engine doesn't have a NOSECONE!!!!! I looks like it has a better/upgraded oil pump....but now what do I do for a signal? There is a signal wire ....I thought I could use that signal with a DynaTek 2000 and be back in business with the Ignition control + coil + HSR42 carb approach. I called Dyna to verify that this was possible and the was told that the signal wire on the 2008+ Buells was signaled from the crank and not the cams (as would be the case in the nose cone set up) and would not work well....at best it would run like crap and just be a compromised tuning. THEN...reading through this forum, I read that the 2008+ EFI's sense off the cams and NOT the crank....Which is it?

So...all this said, I am fully admitting my ignorance and asking the questions I hope one/several of you can answer:

1.) What is the signal is the signal wire on my engine sending? Crank position or Cam position?
    2.) Is my approach of using a Dyna 2000 + Coil with a carb a workable option?
    3.) If 2 is yes, then is it even worth it?
    4.) Can I make the EFI work if I purchase an ECU and wiring harness?
    5.) Should I give up?
    6.) If 5 is yes....would any of you make me on offer on this engine?

Thank You,

Aaron

2008 uses a crank sensor located on the front left side (if sitting on the bike)
    By "nosecone" I assume you are talking about the cam cover/cam position sensor located on the right side.03-07 buells use a cam positioning sensor and in 08 the oil pump was built into the cam cover for a "all in one part" and went to a crank sensor.

Could you make the original efi work? sure if you gathered all the parts you are missing.
    As for aftermarket ignition im sure you could work around that too, Ive done quite a bit using megasquirt computers just takes time.

Could you make the original efi work? sure if you gathered all the parts you are missing.
    As for aftermarket ignition im sure you could work around that too, Ive done quite a bit using megasquirt computers just takes time.[/QUOTE]

So what parts am I missing? Just the ECU and Wiring harness?

You'd need,
    Wiring harness, ECU, Injectors, Throttle Body wtps, stock exhaust with o2 sensor, coil pack, iat sensor.

Keep in mind the wiring harness and ECU are different 03-07 and 08+ because of the cam sensor. And without tuning the ecus are different between the 984 and 1203cc engines.

This should help you locate any oe part numbers to track down
    http://www.twinmotorcycles.com/websh...D-A249F958635F

Cosworth, thank you....AND

Quote Originally Posted by Cosworth View Post
    You'd need,
    Wiring harness, ECU, Injectors, Throttle Body wtps, stock exhaust with o2 sensor, coil pack, iat sensor.

Keep in mind the wiring harness and ECU are different 03-07 and 08+ because of the cam sensor. And without tuning the ecus are different between the 984 and 1203cc engines.

This should help you locate any oe part numbers to track down
    http://www.twinmotorcycles.com/websh...D-A249F958635F

Looking at this now, I think I might be money ahead to cut my losses and go looking for an older carb'd engine.

I have the Injectors, Throttle Body, WTPS and the stock exhaust with the O2 sensor.

Know anyone looking for and Engine like this? Like I said - cutting losses...would make a good deal.

Where are you located?

Quote Originally Posted by Cosworth View Post
    Where are you located?
    Indiana - 60 miles north of Indy.....

I travel throughout Ohio, Michigan, Illinois, Iowa, Minnesota and Wisconsin, if anyone is interested, I could maybe meet them.

What are we talking on price for the engine stuff

$800 for everything?