Thread: Check Engine Light

Check Engine Light

I have a 07 xb12r with 14,000 on it. My check engine light has been coming on randomly and with the check engine light my dash and gauges shut off but my bike stays running. The gauges don't shut off every time the light comes on. Also the light only really stays on for a few seconds and it may come on a few times in a day or a few times in a week so it's a very weird problem. I would appreciate any thought on what it could be. Thanks a lot!

Check your grounds and battery connections.
    Two trouble some grounds can be found at the steering/head tube area. Look under your front fairing, just behind your headlights and above the lower triple tree.

That's the first place I'd start.

Bike have any starting issues?
    How old is the battery?

Just checked all connections mentioned above and nothing seems to be loose or anything. I think I'm going to take my whole fairing off and take a look.

I just bought this bike from HD about a month ago so I'm not sure how old the battery is but it starts just fine and I've been putting it on the tender.

Check the connectors behind the front pulley cover.
    Google search #77 connector issues and you'll get an idea of why I suggested to check those connectors.

Have you called the dealer you got the bike from? Been less than 90days since your purchase. They might help you out. For FREE.

Good luck.
    Keep us posted on your findings

Any codes? sometimes they provide a clue.

Sorry about late response, totally forgot to write back. I ended up getting a brand new HD battery and that seemed to do the trick. I've been riding with it for about a week and a half and haven't had a single problem that I mentioned above.