Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which top end gasket kit?

Which top end gasket kit?

I'm going to replace a leaking rear rocker box cover gasket on my '07 XB12Ss. Do I use 17036-91A (Harley XL) or 17059-02B (Buell XB)?

I imagine both are the same with perhaps the Buell XB kit having higher quality gaskets?

Appreciate any feedback from the board.

Inactive
    neither dave. go with the below. more content and much better quality.
    James Gaskets, Inc. part # JGI-17049-07-X

Thanks for the info. I'll get what you suggested.

I just looked at the James gasket kit. Does not appear to have the correct rocker cover gasket. I assume a 2007 takes the "black" upper gasket with the wider tabs as apposed to the thinner orange ring gasket?

Use the factory Harley/Buell gasket kit. They are just fine and the only kit with the correct pushrod cover gaskets.

Thanks...that's what I'll do. Meanwhile since only the upper gasket (cover) on the rear cylinder is the one leaking, should I bother replacing the front upper gasket? What about the gasket that goes between the head and rocker box? Looks good and dry right now.

Quote Originally Posted by FJR1300David View Post
    I just looked at the James gasket kit. Does not appear to have the correct rocker cover gasket. I assume a 2007 takes the "black" upper gasket with the wider tabs as apposed to the thinner orange ring gasket?
    Apologies for resurrecting an old post, but this is where the seeds of doubt were sown when I was looking up rocker gasket kits. I trust John, but was curious what this talk of the wrong pushrod cover gaskets is about. This thread also mentions an incorrect cover gasket, which I can't imagine is true...Also, does this come with intake seals or do I need to buy them separately?

Pushrod tube seals on Sportsters is just a couple of orings. On an XB, it is a squarish gasket on the bottom and orings on the top. The orings appear to be regular Sportster parts and fit a wide range of bikes. Make sure your gasket kit is Buell specific or you may not have these.

https://st-paul-harley-davidson-buel...-/-timer-cover

https://st-paul-harley-davidson-buel...9b274447&_ss=r

I have extra upper orings and a set of intake seals in case your kit comes up short. I do not have extra XB lower gaskets though.

34:19, How did you get to be so helpful, generous, and successful?! Someday I hope I can steal your supermodel wife and be 1/2 as as you.

LOL

more luv 4 LF to C

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast