Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My turn for

My turn for

The electric gremlins ! Took the 08 uly out for my maiden run this morning. Got some really good coffee, then went to start her, she kicked over very slow but that seemed normal to me since I got her two weeks ago. I put the plates and insurance on her yesterday, changed the oils for the engine and primery, hence the maiden voyage today.

1- Initially turned over slow, before taking the ride.
    2- Would not turn over when I tried to start her up at the coffee place, just got the clicking noise.
    3- Got a jump with one of those little jumper boxes, started right up.
    4- Rode about mile, then it started running real rough and coughing.
    5- Died !
    6- Charging battery as I type this.
    7- I'll let you know what I find once I get her home, could just be a low batt.

Sounds like you're battery might be the issue all together. I'm pretty sure everyone with an Buell will tell you they are hard on batteries. If I remember correctly our bikes require a minimum 220CCA.
    Check your terminals and grounds while you have the bike charging. Make sure they are clean and tight. I had loose terminals once and the bike acted like it had a dead battery. I now use lock washer on my terminals.

Also might want to check the connector behind your left scoop. I believe it's the #77 connector. They have been known to cause charging issues if not in pristine condition.
    I think I got the location of your connector correct. My bike is an 07 and I know mines behind the front pulley cover. Pretty sure 08 and up bikes are behind left scoop.

Go to www.buellmods.com and check the service manual to be sure.

Good luck

Thanks man, I just got back with the uly, I put the fully charged battery back in and she started right up, going to do some electrical checks now including your recommendation of the infamous 77 connector. It did sit for a couple of weeks, I only had it out twice, and started it a couple of times and charged it once but, I don't think I fully charged it.

Here is an update, keep in mind I'm a relative novice when it comes to electrical problems, oh yeah give me something from the 60's and 70's and I could rebuild it mechanically speaking.

I just juiced up the batt fully, then took the batt to where I had to leave the bike, reinstalled it and rode home, maybe a 5 minute ride. The battery shows 12 1\2 volts, when I start it, it goes up to 13 1\2 volts, if I rev it up to over 3000 rpm, it goes up to 14 volts. This is on a good but old ohms meter with a needle and has to be held steady to get a good reading.

The only connection I can see behind the left air scoop is a thick covered wire and a plug. I will the manual and see what it says.

Since the bike was sitting, probably over the winter in a heated garage and I purchased it before the season really started, I'm guessing that the batter needed a good charge, so for now I'll keep checking the batt and see if it holds the charge before getting into anything else. I hate taking stuff apart before I know for sure what it might be. I'll be riding it quite a bit this week if the batt holds up. I'll also review the electric gremlins already posted up.

Thanks.
    Last edited by njloco; 05-22-2016 at 11:34 PM.

08+ do not have the 77 connector issues fornthe Billionth time. Damnit chickn, I know you know that

The test shows the charging system is ok. It's a safe bet to get a new, quality battery.

No 77 connector, that has to be a good thing !
    I checked the battery last night, about 8:45 PM, that means it was sitting for a little over 24 hours, the meter showed 12 volts, that's a loss of 1\2 volt in that period of time, that is if the meter is accurate, I'll check it again tonight. If it shows good, I'll take the uly to work tomorrow, it's a 50+ mile ride, that will be a good workout for her.

O.k., I'm getting a new battery, it showed 12 1\2 volts again last night but wouldn't start this morning. It must have a dead cell, oh well !

I tried doing a search under the title, best battery, lots of info listed but nothing definitive, any recommendations ?

Thanks

the battery should be LOAD TESTED. it might read 12v but under load be 10 or 11 v or have a dead cell in it. bottom line I would put a new battery in it. Battery Mart.com - Big crank battery 220 cca they have the best price and free shipping.
    Last edited by rchuff; 05-25-2016 at 04:04 PM.

Thanks brother ! I'll give them a call.

Thanks brother ! I just ordered it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast