Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My turn for

You are welcome glad to be some help. You are in Jersey so it should come pretty quick.
    Last edited by rchuff; 05-25-2016 at 11:07 PM.

Good, I forgot to see where they were located and was just about to do that.

Seems like a lot of buellers are out in PA, if you guys ever have a get together, I'd like to attend.

It would be cool to have a bunch buellers go up to americade and give a nice representation, I'm going to try to attend.

I fell like an idiot, I ordered the big crank from battery mart ( great service ! ) I do have the correct battery, it will not fit into the battery box. Everything is stock with the exception of the ecm location. Am I supposed to start bending metal ?

Update, though the battery box is stock, it would appear that it was bent slightly for some unknown reason. The only thing I could come up with is the ecm has been moved from it's original position, it seems the ecm was pivoted slightly or turned to a 45 degree from it's original place, one original bolt being used and the other mounting hole being made through the plastic cover for the shock. I'm guessing this was done to try and keep the seat from breaking it or, to keep it cooler ? Anyhow, the battery is in, now I'll see if everything else goes back with no interference.

Thanks
    Last edited by njloco; 05-27-2016 at 04:34 PM.

Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by njloco View Post
    I fell like an idiot, I ordered the big crank from battery mart ( great service ! ) I do have the correct battery, it will not fit into the battery box. Everything is stock with the exception of the ecm location. Am I supposed to start bending metal ?

Update, though the battery box is stock, it would appear that it was bent slightly for some unknown reason. The only thing I could come up with is the ecm has been moved from it's original position, it seems the ecm was pivoted slightly or turned to a 45 degree from it's original place, one original bolt being used and the other mounting hole being made through the plastic cover for the shock. I'm guessing this was done to try and keep the seat from breaking it or, to keep it cooler ? Anyhow, the battery is in, now I'll see if everything else goes back with no interference.

Thanks
    what you ran into is this:
    1-the stock ecm location for all ulysses is slightly forward of the battery and battery tray. it in fact is turned at a 45 degree angle...and held in place with 2 long allen bolts. the front bolt goes thru a plastic block and into a nut held captive by the plastic shield underneat the ecm. the block is oem to keep seat from striking the ecm.
    2-the battery you ordered is correct but is approx. 1/8th inch too tall which means it strikes both the top strap bracket as well as bottom floor of tray. just get a large pliers and tweak those pieces till battery drops into place. it's SOP on ulysses.
    NOTE: be damn sure to use the 2 gold colored spacers included with the big crank battery. they go between the terminals and the cable end. not using them is catastrophic.

Ah oh, I just installed it and couldn't figure out what the hell those brass washers ( spacers ) were for, I'll go and install the washers, it would nice if they mention this, no install instruction at all. Not that one needs that for installing a battery. Or is it too late, did I already break it ? I guess I'll find out now.

Thanks.

Update, o.k. I see what the brass spacers are for, easy to miss though. Doesn't seem to be any damage, still haven't tried starting the bike, I'll know in about an hour or so.

Later !

Sorry not to get back sooner, everything seems to be good, took the uly out for a ride, ran great ! I also got the exhaust valve to open up, very interesting, felt similar to when a turbo kicks in but not as dramatic, does that sound about right ? Everyone at the bike shop got a real kick at seeing the uly , oddly enough, one of the guys had his Buell there also getting, guess what, a new battery ! It was an older model, Comet I think ? Looked very much like a Sportster, he loved my uly.
    Last edited by njloco; 05-28-2016 at 01:57 AM.

Inactive
    h oh, I just installed it and couldn't figure out what the hell those brass washers ( spacers ) were for, I'll go and install the washers, it would nice if they mention this, no install instruction at all. Not that one needs that for installing a battery. Or is it too late, did I already break it ? I guess I'll find out now.

Thanks.

again.....the deka/pro-start/big crank batteries have a unique terminal design that is both extremely robust as well as buell-specific in how the cables mount to the FRONT of the terminals....NOT the top of the terminals. there is only one correct installation method and it is: battery installed....brass washer installed between front of terminal and cable end WITH FLAT PORTION OF SPACER FACING DOWN. deviate from this in the slightest and you'll crack the top of the battery case and/or snap the cable ends.

That's how I redid it, everything seems o.k.

Thanks

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12