Thread: Fuel Pump

Fuel Pump

Hey guys I have a 2009 Buell xb12s Lightning so goes the story that is sat a while. Now I need to drain fuel but the bike does run. I put new battery and new plugs (fouled) was overheating. When I try to start the gauges all work, starter works , but fuel pump does not prime. I checked the fuse and power to the fuse all G. How do I drain the fuel and do I have to release high pressure hose? or just drain from fuel plug? I am going to replace the fuel pump and clean the injectors. Also I have the manual but ??? Oh yea I need to find a part number for the fuel drain plug (have to replace?)

Poor bike is just waiting for love!
    Thxs in advance for any help & safe suggestions

Hot diggidy Dog

There is a write up here on the forum (it is a sticky in the Firebolt section) with directions and photos on how to replace the fuel pump. I actually took some footage with my GoPro today detailing the removal of the fuel pump assembly to replace my fuel regulator. As soon as I finish the video I will post the link here.

The manual says to drain the tank using th drain plug located between the swing arm and frame (back of fuel pump assembly) and also to crank the bike over with the 4 pin connector disconnected to purge the line.
    Last edited by ocgreenmachine; 05-22-2016 at 11:41 PM.

Awesome! Thanks for the info I will dig further into previous threads (sticky Firebolt). Looking forward to seeing your video. Do you know (part number) or where I can get the fuel drain plug?

What's wrong with your drain plug? The most you'd have to do usually is replace the o-ring, but the o-ring on mine was fine to be reused.

Good luck with it! That write up is well done and pretty helpful

Here's a link to that sticky/write up:

http://www.buellxb.com/forum/showthr...cement-from-HD

I did the initial write up, but it's been a few years. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions and I'll try to dig in my memory bank. But beware, I drink regularly, so that may prove futile.... :P

It looks like others have found even better fitting pumps/strainers since the initial writeup. But I will say it's been several thousand miles and about 3 years since I changed mine and it is still going strong...