Thread: New guy intro, couple things...

New guy intro, couple things...

Hey gang!

So I've been lurking around here for a couple of weeks while I was looking at bikes, and I'm happy to say that I'm the new owner of an 07 XB12STT!
    I've been riding since I was about 7, and I've gotten to ride some pretty neat stuff over the years. I'm a big nerd for weirdo bikes, so when I saw the TT on craigslist I couldn't resist taking a look. Turns out the guy lived less than a mile away from me, so I went and checked the bike out, then went home to think on it. In the meantime, I had to do some travelling for work, so I looked at a couple of other bikes to do my due diligence. Came back home and put an offer on the bike, did some haggling, and everyone walked away pretty happy. Well, I rode away, but you get the picture...

About the bike:
    The battery was on its last legs so I replaced it, did a little basic maintenance, and went out for a quick shakedown run. Seems pretty close to tip top... I noticed a little stumble at around 2800 rpms that first ride, but that seems to have cleared up. It also seemed a little sluggish on small throttle inputs, but that may have been my perception. All in all it seems like a rider. The PO stated that he didn't really care about cosmetics, but kept a bike mechanically flawless, and I have no reason to doubt that. He had done a few mods to the bike, header wrap and heat shield, RH scoop, headlight mod, passenger peg install, lower foot pegs. He also had a set of sporty saddle bags (score!) and a generic cruiser windshield mounted on the front ( I told him he could keep the shield...). The bike needs a bath pretty bad. Big issues I spotted were some kinda major hazing on the frame paint. I searched the forum to see if this is common and didn't see much, so if this sounds familiar, chime in. Hopefully I can hit it with some rubbing compound and get it looking right. Also the exhaust has a fair amount of surface rust, but the search function worked properly and I imagine I'll tackle that job some rainy day.

I'm dangerously close to getting too long-winded here, so I'll leave it at this for now. Since I hear you guys are big fans of pictures, here ya go...

IMG_5568.jpg

Hello mate! looks a really nice bike from what i can see, welcome to the fold! The frame can be sorted out in various ways, some mask the frame off in situ and rattle can it but others will suggest other ways which may be better than doing it that way! Glad you are enjoying the bike!

congrats on the bike, dude! don't forget to ride with proper gear and make sure your rubber is nice and soft and if in doubt, just buy a new set of tires. way to many guys get into trouble after buying used bikes because of old tires.

Cheers, guys.

I hit a test patch with some rubbing compound and it looks like it will shine it up nicely.

The tires are in pretty nice shape, but I'm peeking around trying to decide what route to go next. Also no worries on the gear, I've got trusty stuff that always rides with me.

Awesome dude! I'll be picking up my first Buell early next week if all goes to plan.

Inactive
    STT one of the nicest riding XB's ever made IMO.
    rusty muffler: they're tricky to remove and reinstall properly and without tons of drama. when reaching that point post back here and i'll walk you thru the correct method. prior to addressing the rust i would spray kano kroil or similar on its interactive valve and tenderly work it by hand to assure operation. if stuck closed the result is a poor running motor
    your low speed stumbles/hiccups/sluggish throttle should be addressed with a pair of NGK DCPR9EIX iridium plugs...breather re-route...auxiliary motor ground wire....light amount of something like seafoam in a tank of fresh fuel. if problems not resolved an installed generic "race map" to your stock ecm livens up the bike and resolves these issues once and for all.

http://www.buellxb.com/forum/showthr...cratch-removal

And welcome to the forum.