Thread: 03 9S Blowing ACC fuse. How to test?

03 9S Blowing ACC fuse. How to test?

I just picked up an 03 XB9S. It is my third Buell and I love it!

Now for the issue. When I was driving home from buying it the ACC fuse blew and knocked out the low beam, gauges, tail light, and blinkers. I have since replaced the fuse(many times) but the problem has gotten worse. Now I can't even turn the key "ON" without the fuse blowing. I've gone through the tail and flyscreen wiring including the headstock pass through to no avail.

I've tried to eliminate as much as possible. I have disconnected the:
    Headlight(white plug under flyscreen)
    Blinkers
    Tail light

The fuse continues to blow when the key is turned to "ON". Could this be a bad ground issue? Is there any way to test for a short to to narrow down where it is coming from? I'm admittedly terrible with electrics and fake my way around a Fluke tester unconvincingly.

Inactive
    2003 lightning.....correct? a problematic ACC blade fuse not related whatsoever to grounds. below is list of what is fed on your model by the ACC fuse. i am assuming a fuse of proper amp rating OR no more than 10% greater strength in use here.
    ACC fuse feeds: TAIL LIGHT, LICENSE PLATE LIGHT, HEADLIGHT ASSEMBLY, TURN SIGNAL FLASHER.
    you need to do this: unplug the tail light/license plate plug which is near your battery box..... unplug the flasher....you already have headlight connector unplugged BUT this does NOT eliminate it as the source problem.
    now replace the ACC fuse. what is the result? see below:
    if the fuse is now ok it is your flasher. if the fuse now pops again it is the wiring loom at the steering head.
    keep in mind that each of your factory turn signals IF still installed on the bike have the positive feed wire running thru the center of the metal inner post. it is rare BUT that feed wire can rub thru striking metal. if you find from the above steps i've provided that your flasher is the culprit CAREFULLY CHECK each turn signal assembly wire for this happening prior to replacing the flasher or it will happen again.
    Last edited by user_deleted; 06-03-2016 at 01:31 PM.

Yes, a 2003 XB9S.

I've checked and rewrapped the wires at the steering head. The fuse still blows with the headlight, turn signals, tail light, and license plate light disconnected.

Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by LeJeune123 View Post
    Yes, a 2003 XB9S.

I've checked and rewrapped the wires at the steering head. The fuse still blows with the headlight, turn signals, tail light, and license plate light disconnected.
    then it's the flasher. nothing else is fed by the ACC fuse.

I found it! The harness was chafed as it passes into the seat area and a little near the battery tray. I should have removed that when I went through the tail the first time. Now I know I don't have anymore chafed wires and my ignition switch is now cleaned and greased.