Thread: New Uly owner

New Uly owner

After over a year of trying to get my hands on a Sportster based scrambler conversion, I had literally given up when I happened upon a 2006 Uly for sale not far from home. Since this bike was purpose built for the type of riding I wanted to do, was in excellent condition and the price was right, I bought it.

So far I love the bike. I have 2 sets of tires for it; the Conti TKC-80's seen in the pics as well as a set of Avon TrailRiders. Right now I'm riding a lot of fire and power line trails, so I'll keep the 80's on it for a while.

This weekend I replaced the Jardine RT-1 that it had with a stock XB12 muffler. The RT-1 was alright, but a bit too noisy for the areas I ride and the decel pop was terrible. I tried various maps, but pop was still there as was the erratic air fuel mix. Feels and sounds better IMO.

While checking out the AMC actuator after installing the muffler, I decided to make a video of it in operation since I wasn't able to find one on YouTube:

There is a full explanation of the AMC operation in the description accompanying the video at the full YouTube site:

https://youtu.be/4i5r3V97D28

Nice find man! Congrats

Nice bike, one of the guys here, just made a cross country trip with the same exact Ully as yours.

I can believe it. I also have the Buell side and top hard luggage for it as well.

It really does ride pretty nice. Pretty shocking really. That's not just idle chatter from me either. These were my last 2 scooters:

I lost my wife and riding partner early last year to breast cancer. I sold both bikes when she was no longer able to ride with me. But now I'm back in the saddle again.

Hill90, welcome aboard but more importantly....I am VERY VERY SORRY for the loss of you beloved wife and riding partner. Stay strong man and we are glad you're back in the saddle, she is on the back of your machine every time you ride now, I'm sure of it!!!!!

Thanks wickedchop for the encouraging and kind words. I'm sure you're right!

Quote Originally Posted by Hill90 View Post
    I can believe it. I also have the Buell side and top hard luggage for it as well.

It really does ride pretty nice. Pretty shocking really. That's not just idle chatter from me either. These were my last 2 scooters:

I lost my wife and riding partner early last year to breast cancer. I sold both bikes when she was no longer able to ride with me. But now I'm back in the saddle again.
    Hey Hill90, so sorry to hear about your loss. My thoughts and prayers out to you that you may find peace thru your grief.
    Your post reminded me of a book I read last year. Not sure if you've heard of Neil Peart, the drummer for Rush or not, but in the span of one year he lost his daughter, and then his wife. He was heart broken with no hope, no desire to go on living and lost his meaning for life. So he just jumped on his BMW R1100GS and rode 55,000 miles non stop all over North America for 14 months. He used his bike and traveling to help with his grieving until he came to grips with his terrible loss. His book is called: Ghost Rider, Travels on the Healing Road.
    Anyway, I'm the guy that just rode XC that NJloco above mentioned. I have the exact same bike that you do. It's a great bike. It has it's peculiarities, but somehow they tend to grow on me and many of us here on the forum. My 06 Uly ate up 3,940 miles in 11 joyful days. I do indeed think that our motorcycles have the power to help us find ourselves again. Many of us find this after being off the bike for a few years, (and wonder why we ever stopped riding), recovering from a loss such as yours or even just jumping on for an afternoon romp after having a bad day at work. Good luck with your new bike, congrats at being back in the saddle and welcome to the forum.