Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Guys, really need some help here.

Guys, really need some help here.

I have asked for help in the past and didint really get much. I know its beacuse I am not a wordsmith and didnt ask the right question the right way. Please help me, if you need more info or for me to try and explain, I will but I really need some help.

2 things really.

1. My post from last week I was asking about fuel and temp. I think I have found the source of the fuel, I just dont know how/why. I have less than a half tank of gas and found this, pic #1 fuel coming out the vent hole. What would cause this?

2. While cleaning the fuel I decided to take the airbox off to see if fuel was dripping down inside the motor and found something that didnt look right, pic #2, noticed the bare threads. Turns out it is the idle adjustment cable. Do these things work them selves loose? Never noticed any issues with idle or RPM. What can I do/where does it go?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Never seen them leak from there but I suspect your fuel vent to the right of the fill is clogged. Fuel evaporates with heat in the frame and will leak.
    The idle cable, they all wear. It should be loosely zip tied to the front sub frame, never seen them really work themselves loose.

Looks like the PO cut the original sleeving off that idle adjust cable and added their own. That sheath is not OEM.

I had done that same "fix" to an idle adjustment cable when I was too cheap to buy a new one. After time the cable tends to wear through its original sheathing. At least it did on my 07 xb12r.
    Once the sheathing was worn through to the inner cable, the cable started to corrode and make it difficult to adjust the idle.
    I bought a new idle adjustment cable and routed the new one through some plastic tubing that had a slight bend in it.
    It doesn't bind and I don't worry about it wearing through to the cable anymore.
    I also concur with what was stated about you fuel tank vent. The actual valve to the right of your filler cap.
    Did yours have a tube coming off it or was it just as you have pictured?

I think you can reinstall the idle adjustment cable without rotating the engine but it's a very fiddly job. That cable goes from the knob/Allen end at the "v" bracket, just to the right of the front cylinder head, and almost bends at a right angle to thread into the lower portion on the throttle cable bracket. I'm sure that's not entirely the correct nomenclature for that bracket but I think you get my drift.
    Do some Google searching and you'll probably find some helpful pics and links.

I got the idle adjustment cable back in. Really wasn't that hard. Went and did the TPS reset. So now it idles like crap at start up. Bounces around 800-1200 wants to die. If I play with the throttle some until it warms up (feel heat from header) it will settle down around 1000-1100. Before all this, never had any issues with warm up, start and go so this posses me off. Took it for a short ride around the hood, and the throttle response is so much better than it ever was. So 1 positive, 1 negative.

What condition are your plugs in?
    They may be fouled.
    Have you checked for an intake leak?

So took the bike out today, all seems fine until about an hour in. Decel to stop light wont drop below 2500 rpm. Wasnt far from home so headed there. 5 stop lights didnt drop below 2500. Got home, pulled in driveway, 2500 rpm. Shut it off wait 15 seconds, start it 1000 rpm. Kind of afraid to take it back out again.

You have an intake leak or your idle isn't set right.
    Those two usually lead to the symptoms you're experiencing.

Quote Originally Posted by Chicknstripn View Post
    You have an intake leak or your idle isn't set right.
    Those two usually lead to the symptoms you're experiencing.
    Since my throttle adjustment came loose, reinstalled, TPS reset, I am going with the idle isn't set right, just don't know how to fix it right now.

I agree with chicken. All those easy fixes can be found in the manual you can download for free.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast