Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fork seals on Uly

Fork seals on Uly

I have an 08 uly X. I just did the fork seals after they started leaking. New seals and dust boots on both sides. I clean everything thoroughly and replaced everything by the book. Both seals have a very slight leak. Just enough of a film to be noticeable. This is only after one ride though. I'm wondering if maybe the seals were a bit dry and so they pushed some oil out and now they will seal up? I don't think I would screw up both seals. Any thoughts would be helpful and welcome! Thanks guys!

Inactive
    are the seals installed correctly with embossed printing facing atmosphere? don't know you're procedure but i never install seals dry when rebuilding either cartridge or conventional forks. i very lightly coat the seal face with 3-in-1 oil then assemble, install, lock front brake, and work forks up and down several times. residual oil lightly coats the tubes for just one.....max of 2 wipe downs....that's it. more than that and you either installed incorrectly, faulty seals, nicked seals, nicked tubes, or incorrect fluid capacity over-fill.

I agree to never install them dry but why would you coat the seal with 3 in 1 oil? Just use fork oil on them to lube it for install.

Its normal for the extra on the seal to coat the fork for a little bit. Wipe the fork leg clean and see if it comes back like lunatic said.

Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by konarider94 View Post
    I agree to never install them dry but why would you coat the seal with 3 in 1 oil? Just use fork oil on them to lube it for install.

Its normal for the extra on the seal to coat the fork for a little bit. Wipe the fork leg clean and see if it comes back like lunatic said.
    that works as well. just a matter of choice on my part as that particular oil seems to have a bit of softening effect on the seal lip during run-in.

I ordered parts OEM from Harley. The manual said to install the seals with the spring facing the dust seal so its facing the earth when the forks are on the bike. I did it very carefully and maybe I just put too much oil on the seals when I installed them. Fork oil put in was just under 16 oz for each leg.

I went in my garage this morning and my left fork had a puddle of oil under it. This is frustrating.

Nope. Listen to Lunatic.
    The spring side goes towards the oil, always. The solid side goes toward atmosphere and gives a good surface to install. Sounds like you read the manual wrong and they are upside down. Bummer, but an easy fix.

Huh I swear the manual says spring faces the dust boot. Oh well. Ill swap them around tonight. I should have looked when taking them apart. Thanks guys! Ive been racking my brain all day to figure out what the problem is.

If it does, it's wrong.

How did you seat the seal that way without anything to push against? I'm afraid the seal got tweaked. You might as well get new ones, the dust seals should re-install just fine.

Alright just got done with the bike. The seals were in backwards. The 2009 manual states that the spring side faces the dust seal. I may have wore my bushings down doing that too but I'll save that for this winter. Thanks for the help guys. Forks are bone dry now!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast