Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: gear box noise

Hopefully it's something easy. I plan on doing the primary chain and shoe while I'm in there. The chain sags down past the primary case.

^^ that is normal.

The chain sag or clutch basket play?

Both of my bikes had slight clutch basket play I believe

I believe both are normal

Hummm well crap

Lunaticfringe help!!!! John you always have words of wisdom!

Banned
    If you have necessary tools just disassemble the clutch basket and remove the stator cover, inspect the parts then assemble it back. Here is the clutch basket freeplay I had and it looks like it is OK, I replaced clutch basket bearing and the clutch basket still has the same freeplay.

Last edited by TPEHAK; 06-11-2016 at 03:47 PM.

That's about what mine is like. I'm picking up the tools or making what I can. I'm dying to tear it apart but I'm having trouble finding the size of socket to fit the clutch. Thanks tpehak.

Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by DSHUMAKER View Post
    Lunaticfringe help!!!! John you always have words of wisdom!
    ok darrin...found this post of yours. if you plan on making a trip inside the primary see the specs below. note that all clutch baskets have a bit of lateral free-play. i don't have the "run-out" specs but a light-lateral-wiggle is best i can describe it. IMPORTANT: the primary(front) fastening nut is 1-1/8th STANDARD RIGHT HAND THREADS. the clutch fastening or basket nut is 1-3/16th LEFT HAND THREADS. you MUST lock the basket and primary gears with a lock-bar as mentioned below to remove both front and rear nuts. then and only then you simply slide the front and rear assemblies with drive chain attached right off their shafts. that exposes the fixed stator assembly as well as clutch pack. here's specs on home-made locking bar: 4-1/8" long and can be a piece of 1" to 1-1/2" wide flat bar with the ends slightly rounded. Steel or aluminum will work. locks between the front and rear assembly locking primary and basket in place while loosening both nuts.
    lastly darrin....before you take the plunge as above i would closely check 2 things: the primary chain adjuster post/shoe assembly. it is one complete unit and may have broken or simply worn out which happens but is rare. the other is stripped out threads bottom of primary cover that holds the adjuster post. cover is aluminum and if the post locknut was NOT secured and you rode the bike there's an excellent chance the threads pulled out of the primary cover. i have fixed many of them thru the years from precisely this mistake being made.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast