Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Error code 36 Fan issue. Short to ground.

Error code 36 Fan issue. Short to ground.

Well it seems that as my mileage climbs, so do my issues.
    06 XB9SX 90 000km.
    I just replaced the pump assembly last month, and its been running great, but
    yesterday the CEL started coming on each time the fan should have engaged.
    I have done the following:
    Fan was replaced about 6 yrs ago.
    Unplugged the fan connector and applied 12V to the fan, it runs, albeit slow.
    Ran a fan test using Buelltooth.. fan does not run.
    Tested ECU pin 6 using fan test, and it does apply a ground onto the black/orange wire.
    Tested the black/orange all the way to the fan connector, and the ground works all the way.
    Tested wiring to ground and to positive with both ends disconnected, all tests correct.
    Tested 12V and ground during fan test, and all tests correct at the connector.
    The fan tests approx 5 Ohms across the motor. Not sure if this is correct.
    What I did find strange is that the CEL comes on intermittently even straight after startup
    when it is cold. When out on the highway at 120+ kmph, it never comes on.
    I'm hesitant to start throwing parts at it without understanding why I get these symptoms.

Would it make sense to extend the wiring and connect my wife's XB's fan and re-run the fan test ?
    If it does work, does that indicate that my fan is faulty?
    I have done some reading, and it appears that there are cases where a fan "tested" ok, but wasnt.

All ideas/suggestions welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by Beebop View Post
    yesterday the CEL started coming on each time the fan should have engaged.
    I have done the following:
    Fan was replaced about 6 yrs ago.
    Unplugged the fan connector and applied 12V to the fan, it runs, albeit slow.
    Ran a fan test using Buelltooth.. fan does not run.
    Sounds like the answer is right there

Would it make sense to extend the wiring and connect my wife's XB's fan and re-run the fan test ?
    Why not just run the fan test on your wife's bike to see if her fan performs like yours?

If it does work, does that indicate that my fan is faulty?
    I have done some reading, and it appears that there are cases where a fan "tested" ok, but wasnt.
    What do you mean by "tested ok"? Not running on the test would indicate it failed the test.
    If the fan is struggling to perform as designed, that sounds like a fan that did not test OK and wasn't OK, regardless of the age of the fan. Maybe you can get the manufacturer to warranty the fan, if you feel it failed prematurely.

Is it wet with oil?

Quote Originally Posted by 34nineteen View Post
    Sounds like the answer is right there

Why not just run the fan test on your wife's bike to see if her fan performs like yours?

What do you mean by "tested ok"? Not running on the test would indicate it failed the test.
    If the fan is struggling to perform as designed, that sounds like a fan that did not test OK and wasn't OK, regardless of the age of the fan. Maybe you can get the manufacturer to warranty the fan, if you feel it failed prematurely.
    tested ok, as in it works if I power it directly from a battery.

Quote Originally Posted by Cooter View Post
    Is it wet with oil?
    No oils. It even sounds quiet when running off a battery.

tested ok, as in it works if I power it directly from a battery.
    There are lots of things in the world that are “working” but not working correctly. If the motor is turning slowly when directly connected to a battery and not at all when connected to the ecm. There is your sign.

ok, so today I had an opportunity to do some more in-depth troubleshooting.
    Removed the fan completely and wired it directly to the bike battery. It ran flat out as it should.
    No oil on the fan or rear cylinder, all nice and dry. Fan turns smoothly with no noise or play
    evident in the bearings. Plugged the fan into the wife's bike and it fires up when I connect
    pin 6 on the ECU to ground, just as her own fan does (for some reason, the Buelltooth would not
    light up on her bike so I could not run the fan test). What sadist designed a fan with a one inch power cord?
    At this stage I am happy that the fan is 100%.
    I went back to my bike and did some further testing. The ECU grounding on pin 6 is evident all the way
    down to the fan. I checked this several times with the fan test and by manually sticking a grounded
    pin into the socket. 12V however is not seen at the fan , or connector. I dont know how I missed
    that yesterday. Anyway, if I run a positive from the battery to the fan and re-run the test, the fan kicks
    in as it should.
    So at this stage I'm confident that my problem is a missing 12V at the fan. I did check both sides
    of the fan fuse and 12V is there. So next is to delve into the wiring diagram and see where that wire runs
    and follow it through. I hate wiring..

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Look for a chafe or break in the wiring loom where it runs over top of the rear cylinder. They are known to chafe in that area and dump assorted fault codes into the ECM including ECM FC #'s 13 for the O2 sensor and #36 for fan voltage. Both will intermittently activate a flashing ECM fault light.

Quote Originally Posted by Barrett View Post
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Look for a chafe or break in the wiring loom where it runs over top of the rear cylinder. They are known to chafe in that area and dump assorted fault codes into the ECM including ECM FC #'s 13 for the O2 sensor and #36 for fan voltage. Both will intermittently activate a flashing ECM fault light.
    Thanks Barrett, That will be my next check.
    I have had the intermittent "rear O2 sensor inactive" error, but not for quite a while.
    At least the problem does not involve trying to get a fan over from the US. Thats
    already a plus for me.

My pleasure Robin. Simply put, your ECM is seeing repeated resistance values it doesn't like which in turn is initiating all these actions. If you've determined the fan is NOT the culprit, then the problem typically lies in the wiring harness...harness plug connection...or failing ECM.
    If it ultimately is a faulty fan, the Spal replacement well documented and easily obtainable thru a multitude of sources online.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast