Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DDFI-2 to DDFI-3 conversion

DDFI-2 to DDFI-3 conversion

Hi

I have a 2004 Buell XB12S and I've been playing with the idea of converting my DDFI-2 ECM to DDFI-3 ECM. I've been searching for any info on this but all I found was a Youtube video of EricZ turbo Buell with this conversion.

Anyways, if I get a DDFI-3 ECM from 2008-2010 Buell will it work with all the sensors in 2004 bike or do I need to change something? I know I need to get some connectors and do a little wiring harness to connect new ECM to existing wiring but anything else I should know about? I found all the ECM pins from ECM-Spy site so it should be pretty easy to do the wiring.

One of the reasons to do this is that I'd like to have individual front 02 and front AFV to play with. After all I've done all kinds of modifications to my bike so I'd be interested to try this.

Thanks

Hello mate, one of the experts will chime in as i dont know much about `04 models but i would imagine the very least you would need would be the Ecm, full wiring harness, later throttle body etc if it is indeed even possible! and it was (maybe late`09) the `10 model year that had the front 02 sensor fitted so i guess you would need the stuff from that year but please check before you buy as i am by no means sure! but good luck anyway with your project!

I know that it's possible to get a front 02 to at least late -08 bikes, don't know about early -08's. It just needs some ECM modifications. Of course I would need that second 02 and wiring for it.

I was just wondering if DDFI-3 would work with older style crank sensors etc... I believe there were some changes to that in newer models. Have to do some more researching about it

ECMSpy.com has some info on the conversion
    PM me for Bluetooth info!
    Facebook.com/BuellBluetooth

Talk to Eric Z- he did the conversion on his Turbo XB

There is no older style crank sensor. DDFI2 uses a cam sensor, and thus the older crank does not have teeth to allow a crank sensor to gain signal. The only way to make DDFI3 work on the older bikes is to swap in an 08-10 motor, wiring harness, and ECM. Very few of the motor components are shared between the 03-07 bikes and the 08-10 bikes.

No, you can reprogram a DDFI-3 ECM to work with all the stock DDFI-2 sensors. You will gain better fuel and ignition mapping resolution as well as individual cylinder AFV correction, but these additional features will only help if you tune it properly. A DDFI-2 ECM is plenty capable of great control of an XB engine. In other words, you have to be a nerd with plenty of time and experience on your hands to tackle and successfully execute this conversion.

You would still need a DDFI3 harness. There are 64 pins in a DDFI3 ECM, only 24 in a DDFI2 ECM.

You could change the connector. Just throwing out an option, not like anyone is actually going to go through all this work unless going to Eric's level

Thanks for all the answers!

Phelan: Yeah, I had a little confusion in my mind about cam sensor in older xb engines and accidentally was talking about crank sensor.

I know I can get just new connectors and make a little conversion wiring harness between original harness and new ECM.

EricZ: Is that repogram of DDFI-3 (old style sensors) possible to do with Tunerpro or does it require more special programs? Been playing with Tunerpro for a while now. I know that the original ECM of 2004 XB is good enough with proper tune but after all, if I can do things differently and better, why not try it Of course it's all up to if my skills are good enough to do that kind of programming to new ECM. It's just something I've been playing with in my mind for a while now...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast