Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: DDFI-2 to DDFI-3 conversion

Quote Originally Posted by Phelan View Post
    ...The only way to make DDFI3 work on the older bikes is to swap in an 08-10 motor, wiring harness, and ECM...
    Thankfully this is not true.

Quote Originally Posted by AZmidget91 View Post
    You could change the connector. Just throwing out an option, not like anyone is actually going to go through all this work unless going to Eric's level

DDFI-3 ECM has a reserved pin for cam position sensor input (Gray[3]]).
    The live data parameter Din[0] reflects the CMP state.

Any other updates on anyone doing this?

The ECM (DDFI-3) will need to be reprogrammed to ignore a missing crank sensor. I want to swap to the DDFI-3 as well. ECM controlled idle dual O2 sensors, better resolution on the maps <--I've read that, haven't verified myself. I have a new throttle body from the 08+ for a 9. Just trying to figure out the coding side.
    I know there is no performance benefit. If I ever have to redo the engine I'd get a 08+ just for the crank sensor.

I'm been pondering on how to emulate a Vtwin on the bench.
    ECMSPY has a CPS signal generator. Didn't know that till just recently. My initial idea was to use a Jim Stim. However I'm not sure the buell wheel pattern. Once the wheel pattern is found, everything else should be just resistors.

It's easier than that. A DDFI-3 ECM can take the DDFI-2 style cam sensor input, no engine mods needed

Give the guys at Buelltooth.com a call. They might even have an adaptor harness to convert the ECM plugs for you, but you didn't hear it from me!

Quote Originally Posted by Cooter View Post
    It's easier than that. A DDFI-3 ECM can take the DDFI-2 style cam sensor input, no engine mods needed

Give the guys at Buelltooth.com a call. They might even have an adaptor harness to convert the ECM plugs for you, but you didn't hear it from me!
    Well, current project, made me rethink this again.
    Question I cant answer is what will the DDFI3 ECM do without a crank sensor input? Does it go into a 'limp home' mode? I's would think a little coding needs tweaking somewhere to solve this, but I don't have a 08+ ecm to test this yet.
    For parts I do have a 09XB9SX TB complete assembly and just got a 09 12R harness....

I did email them and waiting for a response back.....

Quote Originally Posted by rb70383 View Post
    Well, current project, made me rethink this again.
    Question I cant answer is what will the DDFI3 ECM do without a crank sensor input? Does it go into a 'limp home' mode? I's would think a little coding needs tweaking somewhere to solve this, but I don't have a 08+ ecm to test this yet.
    For parts I do have a 09XB9SX TB complete assembly and just got a 09 12R harness....

I did email them and waiting for a response back.....
    I know this thread is older than dirt but I was curious if you ever reached a conclusion on this. I'm looking to do the same thing for an FI build I'm trying to sort out and it seems its getting harder to find these sorts of answers with each passing year.

It seems like a TON of trouble to gain what... idle control? Sure some better map resolution too but DDFI-2 bikes run just fine.

This guys done it for some custom projects:
    Scroll to the bottom
    https://www.rev-mo.com

It seems like a TON of trouble to gain what... idle control? Sure some better map resolution too but DDFI-2 bikes run just fine.

This guys done it for some custom projects:
    Scroll to the bottom
    https://www.rev-mo.com
    I asked Florida Dave about this a couple years ago as the rumor was that he offered a conversion. I believe his answer to me was basically that he stopped doing them because they were more hassle than what they were worth.

DDFI2 or 3 doesnt care if you have leaking intake seals, low fuel pressure or a seized piston. Oh! but you dont need to use ECMDroid or ECMSpy to reset the TPS! Thats a great reason to convert. My personal favorite is to tell CoOter to hold the ignition cable and crack the throttle a few times.

If youre going to do a conversion, you need to first resolve the DDFI2 issue or be supremely confident in your diagnostic/troubleshooting skills. Its amazing how much work people will do to circumvent solving the actual problem.

To wit: https://www.youtube.com/@JustRolledIn

Quote Originally Posted by 34nineteen View Post
    Its amazing how much work people will do to circumvent solving the actual problem.
    This may not apply to Ricky Rick Ricks exact situation, but it IS One millionty times so true.

This may not apply to Ricky Rick Ricks exact situation, but it IS One millionty times so true.
    I'm probably being overly judgmental on him, but man... it is mind blowing

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12