Thread: XB9SX 2009 - "check engine" light comes on briefly

XB9SX 2009 - "check engine" light comes on briefly

I have noticed it a few times now, but when I am riding the "check engine" light will light up, stay on for a few seconds, and then go off. It tends to happen when I am accelerating up through gears, and when I notice it, I usually let off and it goes off after a few seconds. Also, I have had it come on the same way while I am cruising between 4k and 5k rpm. I let off, and it goes away.... but I still want to know what it is about. Just over heating? Do I have a problem I should have looked at before it gets bad?
    Also, it tends to happen in the first half hour or so of my ride, and I don't notice it as much when things are well warmed up.
    I have plans to do an oil change soon, but if this requires some work, I will do it all at once.

Thanks for the advise!

You should have a code stored, Download EcmDroid and get a Bluetooth dongle, It will show you the codes then you can go from there.

Quote Originally Posted by buell248 View Post
    You should have a code stored, Download EcmDroid and get a Bluetooth dongle, It will show you the codes then you can go from there.
    where to get the bluetooth dongle?

AZmidget91 sells them on here. Send him a pm.

Inactive
    what dave mentioned above sound advice. you can also use the link below that i have provided to read your own stored trouble codes. in all probability you have stored codes and i suspect numbers 13 and 16. an intermittent CEL on 2009 models is almost always dirty/loose/broken battery terminal connections....and/or an O2 sensor on the way out.

http://www.buellxb.com/forum/showthr...ouble-Codes-08

Gotta agree with John as always. Probably a loose battery terminal.

And yes, I sell a Bluetooth dongle that allows you to use the Android app ECMDroid to read the historic codes. It also works with all the PC software.
    PM me for Bluetooth info!
    Facebook.com/BuellBluetooth

Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by AZmidget91 View Post
    Gotta agree with John as always. Probably a loose battery terminal.

And yes, I sell a Bluetooth dongle that allows you to use the Android app ECMDroid to read the historic codes. It also works with all the PC software.
    thanks for that cole. much appreciated. to the original poster of this topic note that cole is a long-time board member, extremely knowledgeable with these XB's, and you can deal with and buy from him with the utmost in confidence.

I'm honored you feel that way John

the code came up as low voltage... #16. I checked the battery and the positive terminal was a tiny bit loose, so I tightened it, and no more check engine lights.