Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Exhaust Straps?

Exhaust Straps?

Does anyone have any good sources on exhaust straps? I have an 09' 12X. Just got back off a deployment and took the kiddo out for a ride. I go to put the bike away and notice the front strap is loose. Of course I check it and it's completely snapped. The rest of the pipe looked okay, but I'll check it tomorrow. ASB was my source before they shut down. Any help? I will probably go ahead and drop the pipe and paint it while I'm at it. Thanks

Banned
    You need new unused strap, manual says always discard front strap after removing it and install new strap. I believe manual says the rear straps should be discarded too if you are going to detach them, but double check it.
    Last edited by TPEHAK; 06-14-2016 at 02:32 AM.

Inactive
    pete: you do NOT need to discard the 1 front and 2 rear straps under certain conditions as stated above though i don't doubt the manual states something ludicrous such as that. the reason the front strap snaps with greater frequency is: a bit more load placed upon it than the 2 rear ones....the 3 straps torqued incorrectly....the front bracket installed incorrectly....the front bracket and strap installed in tandem incorrectly. there is a precise procedure to follow when mounting the stock muffler or a physically identical clone to the stocker....and if not followed broken straps will always occur.

The straps I'm selling are in very good condition.
    Last edited by GregoXB; 06-15-2016 at 06:43 PM.

Thanks for the responses guy. I've read not to reuse straps in the manual. I get it. But if they're still good then they're still good. I'll inspect the rears before I reuse them or pick up new ones.

Banned
    If you are going to reuse the straps apply appropriate locktite. Initially these straps have threat locker coating on the bolts.

Pulled my exhaust off to repaint it, straps had 4000 miles on them and looked new, cleaned them up and put some Loctite on threads...no problems with used clamps.

Well, I got the muffler off and reminded myself that I racked the pipe on a curb some time ago. Right across the rear band clamps. So, I won't be using those again. Does anyone know where to find new ones? Searching all around. Found them on Twin cycles for 74 euro ($84) for all three. Seems like an awful lot for some band clamps. Grego, I'll be in touch!

Shipped. Enjoy.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast