Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Every day's an adventure - where to start looking for no start issue?

Good things always happen around here.
    You just have to be more aware of the good things around you and lose focus of the bad.
    World loves negativity
    Excellent work FattySS!
    Good on you for fixing it yourself!

Quote Originally Posted by Chicknstripn View Post
    Good things always happen around here.
    You just have to be more aware of the good things around you and lose focus of the bad.
    World loves negativity
    Excellent work FattySS!
    Good on you for fixing it yourself!
    you are absolutely right Chicknstripn, and I'll keep trying to look for the good. I just can't seem to shake the weight of the sadness / anger from what happened in Orlando yet. It was a whole other level of brutality that those people experienced that night. Maybe I just need a good ride to start the day off right!

I know man.
    But if you really want to get depressed think about how that sh*t happens all over the world. The only reason we don't hear about it, is the simple reason that it's not happening in "our backyard".
    When it does happen "in our backyard" it's depressing to think that we, AMERICANS, might have to live with the same fears citizens of other countries live with everyday.
    A tragedy is a tragedy. It's extremely hard to shake the melancholy and sadness that comes from the loss of life.
    Unfortunately, that's the world of freedoms that we live in.
    That's the world of free will.

There are great and beautiful things all around.
    Every night I kiss my daughter good night and thank God that I'm as blessed as I am.

NOW GO RIDE A DESOLATE BACK ROAD AND FORGET ABOUT THE WORLD FOR A WHILE!

Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by Fatty SS View Post
    Thanks everybody! It is an 07.

Update: Checked fuses, ignition is blown. It had the proper 15a in it. I replaced with another 15a and the bike started and idled for a minute or so. I increased revs a little bit and *poof*. Blew the fuse again. I'll pull the pulley cover and take a look at the connectors up there. Thanks for the suggestion! Also pulled the ignition relay out, will go get a replacement before attempting another startup.
    just as a heads up....an ignition and/or battery fuse that continues to "pop" is always the tell-tale sign of either a faulty #77 connector OR a voltage regulator on the way to regulator heaven. check the #77 and be prepared to purchase a new VR sometime in the forseeable future...typically when battery continues to die.

Good info!
    Again, learning everyday!

Thanks for the heads up, Lunatic. I hadn't heard of the 77 issue before. I looked at the wires going into and out of the 77 on Friday, but not the inside of the connector. Looks I've got more work to do!

Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by Fatty SS View Post
    Thanks for the heads up, Lunatic. I hadn't heard of the 77 issue before. I looked at the wires going into and out of the 77 on Friday, but not the inside of the connector. Looks I've got more work to do!
    yes sir and always my pleasure. i an not an alarmist but there are signs of a VR on the way to death row and they are: ignition relay flaring up....battery fuse and/or ignition fuse burning out.....tail light bulb burning out....headlight bulbs burning out...battery hot to the touch OR obviously insufficient voltage charge to the battery. re-examine that #77 connector plug i spoke of to you...clean as best you can....small bit of di-electric grease upon reassembly...and attention to the above if they start to occur. if so you'll now know the culprit.

I haven't started the bike since I got it running back in June. I decided to test the VR tonight before going for a ride this weekend... Bike wouldn't start. Ignition fuse is popped again. I opened up the 77 connector and it looks super clean and nice in there. No signs of arcing or poor connection in there. Could still be a VR issue, but it wouldn't even start for me to test it. I put a voltmeter on the battery before starting. Was 12.4. The fuel pump primed really slow and the voltage dropped to 11.2 or so while the pump was running, then went back up to 12.2 with key on/kill switch on. The ignition fuse was blown between pump priming and pushing the start button, as the start button was totally lifeless. I cycled the key and kill switch again and the pump wouldn't prime at all after the fuse went.

So... Looks like I'm tracing wires in search of a short or a loose ground. I doubt the whole thing is battery related, but won't rule it out. I guess I'm back at square one. At least I think I've ruled out any VR issues. It blew the fuse without the engine running.

Last edited by Fatty SS; 07-08-2016 at 03:32 AM.

Banned
    Check that your ignition fuse is 15 Amp. Check wiring diagram in service manual and familiarize yourself with the ignition circuit. Then disconnect the battery, turn the kill-switch in ON position to shorten all electrical equipment in the ignition circuit and measure resistance between the ignition fuse output wire and ground. Use Ohm's law https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ohm%27s_law to calculate current I=V/R=12/R (R is resistance you are going to measure) and see if it is more than 15 Amp, and if it is more than 15 Amp then there is something wrong in the ignition circuit . If measured resistance is close to zero you don't even need to calculate, there is definitely something wrong in the ignition circuit. See the wiring diagram and measure each component in the ignition circuit separately until you will find the circuit path or electrical component with too low resistance.

I saw a few folks online describing the exact symptoms I'm having, with a replacement speed sensor solving their problem. Tonight I'll unplug the speed sensor and see if it still wants to blow the fuse. If it runs, I'll replace the sensor. If not, I'll be testing wires.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast