Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Triple bearing rear wheel/axle issues

Triple bearing rear wheel/axle issues

2008 XB12XT

I recently had the right side bearing crap out on me on the freeway (avoided death fortunately) and so I decided to make the upgrade to the 2010 triple bearing setup. I got everything installed and the shop manual says to tighten to 27 ft/lb then back off two full turns, then tighten to 45 ft/lb. Is it different for the 2010 manual? I don't have it.

My concern is that when I tighten past zero, the wheel binds up. Obviously, I want to get this right but I don't want to damage anything since I just spent all this money on the wheel, axle, and bearings. Am I doing this right? Anything to watch out for?

Thanks for your time.

(By the way, can we add the XT to the Uly XB12x forum?)

Inactive
    that procedure is correct on torque values, etc. but something not right. think of it in these terms and should be easy to trouble-shoot on your end: when the axle is torqued to spec the left and right swingarm inner faces clamp against the bearing inner race faces. this loads the bearings against the inner wheel spacer then the entire wheel assembly and outer wheel bearings rotate around the inner bearings and wheel inner spacer tube.. clearly the inner wheel bearings are not clamping sufficiently against the inner wheel spacer causing the wheel to lock up when axle is torqued. i would remove the wheel, check your work, and verify that the inner bearings are seated against the wheel spacer tube.

did you get the XB axle? G1321.02A8 or the 1125R one G1321.1AM they say they are different and not just in colour! XB is black and 1125R is silver, lunatic do you think it matters?

I bought the XB axle and bearings and wheel from St. Paul Harley-Davidson and had the bearings installed by them. The wheel and axle are black. I looked at the bearings when I got it out of the box, but I didn't check to see if they were fully seated.

Hmm, interesting, I just checked the packaging and found a little black steel ring. Perhaps this is a spacer that goes between the swing arm and the bearing on the axle? Does anyone know about this? The 08 version didn't have this.

You have the correct axle then thats good and the bearings cant be wrong so that spacer would seem to be the problem maybe? can you contact them again and see what they think? is it this ring? 44185492-076D-4259-AC2E-C28689676E0F.jpg img1361g.jpg this has to be the problem!!
    Last edited by ToneTheMoan; 06-17-2016 at 07:01 PM.

Yes, that ring on the left. Also, I don't have the two black washers on the left and right. What are those?

they are the dust seals they should have been fitted ok so that should not be a problem unless you can see the bearing but you should be looking at the black seals. i upgraded my wheel but cant get to check it right now so i cant say where the spacer goes sorry but i would the harley place that fitted it to check no other damage has been done?

Just a FYI the axle is the same for the 2 bearing and 3 only difference is color

oh9 i thought the 3 bearing will work with the 2 bearing wheel but not the other way round? it has to support 2 bearings on the drive side not one? see the longer shoulder? 667093.jpg

Last edited by ToneTheMoan; 06-17-2016 at 09:57 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast