Thread: fuel pump sad story

fuel pump sad story

I rode my Xb9S to my parents yesterday (25 miles, highway, 90degrees out), got off highway and got gas (Mobile 93, 1.9 gallons) and left to my parents (2 miles) the bike started sputtering half way there and engine light came on then off.

Limped it to their house and then tried restarting it with no luck!! While I was riding I would give it throttle and it would barely respond to it so when I arrived I let the bike sit in the shade for over an hour and tried again and the fuel pump clearly makes noise but i can't get it to start.

I then siphoned the gas out and went to get Shell 93 (2 gallons) and it still wouldn't start although the fuel pump can be heard priming still.
    Based off the facebook page feedback and research, the fuel pump is probably toast. As far as i know it is the original pump (14,9xxx miles, all stock besides PCV re-route).

Based off these symptoms, would you all agree?

Inactive
    with patience and a few common hand tools work the problem step by step below and you'll find the source of your problem. i am assuming here that your lightning is close to stock and you do NOT have access to ecmspy or one of its derivatives.
    1-use link below to find out why the CEL activated.
    2-fusebox under seat. remove cover...flip cover over...read fuse/relay schematic....carefully check both your battery and ignition fuses.
    3-you are missing either spark or fuel or both. simplest way to check is remove the front spark plug. is it dry or fuel saturated? that will tell you if fuel being delivered or not. if moist you have an ignition problem....most likely a faulty ignition fuse, ignition relay or coil. if dry it's the fuel pump. if dry then remove airbox cover, inner airbox lid, prepare bike to start, dribble small amount of fuel down throat of TB, try to start. starts and runs for a few seconds? faulty fuel pump OR pump wiring harness.

http://www.badweatherbikers.com/buel...77/146574.html
    Last edited by user_deleted; 06-20-2016 at 02:25 PM.

Thank you lunatic, I will try and diagnose with your suggestions. I did check the battery yesterday and saw roughly 12.8V so that is good.

Also regarding fuel pumps, I did a lot of research today and decided if it is the pump I will get the mustang V6 pump http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/c...9-P#fragment-2 from advance auto (carquest brand).

Anyone ever try a Caltric pump? The price seems too good to be true https://www.amazon.com/Caltric-INTAN...uell+fuel+pump

Fuel pump isnt somewhere you wanna skimp id stay away from that amazon pump.

+1 on what cosworth said. The only less expensive option I would try when it comes to the fuel pump is the mustang mod. http://www.buellxb.com/forum/showthr...cement-from-HD
    I personally have never done the mod but I would if I was on a budget and needed to ride. Maybe someone with personal experience will chime in, hope this helps.

could this issue be the intake seals instead of the pump?

Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by Wordyahurdd View Post
    could this issue be the intake seals instead of the pump?
    no. failing TB manifold to cylinder seals completely different symptoms and would never trigger CEL.

worked on this with a friend last night.

had a DTC of "injector 2 short" so after inspection of the harness/testing injector/injector resistance with using ECMDROID we found everything to be working normally. Must have been a bad connection somewhere or within the wiring harness between injector & ECM there is a frayed wire.

So all in all the bike is running fine again..for now