Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Clutch slip?

And the shop said over 300 for a new cable......

Buell248 you beat me to it!
    Djs2k2! Don't take your bike to THAT shop! If it's already there, get it the hell out!

About your cable... Is it leaking fluid at the case? Just wondering if the threaded end is broken. Don't try to tighten it at the case. It's extremely fragile at that location.

The motorcycle is not there just asked what they would charge. When I asked then if they thought this was my problem they acted like they couldn't care less and asked me what do you want us to do? To the other question no oil is not leaking. The thing is the Adjuster "long nut part" spins even with lock nut tightened. You can see the entire upper cable rotating. Even once the lock nut is secured. And the Adjuster doesn't spin on the threads they stay stationary like I said the cable spins!

I'm going through the same clutch adjustments as you are right now. I followed lunaticfringe's guide, it's very simple and straight-forward.
    If the locking nut is tightened, it is normal that the whole cable rotates. That's the point of the locking nut.

Yes I agree assuming you are talking about the cable by the adjuster

Yes but this happens when the lock nut has been completely loosened " lock nut completely backed off the Adjuster". I followed the manual which is word for word with lunatic....

Are you able to adjust the slack, and or lack of at the lever, while using the adjuster and lock nut as discribed in the manual?

If you're answer is yes, and the cable isn't leaking or broken at the case, I would move on to other mechanical systems which maybe affecting your clutch performance.

After adjusting the clutch, as discribed in the manual and by lunatic, the clutch pull will always feel different. Before adjusting the clutch you're accustomed to the slop/free play from the normal wear on the clutch plates. Once you adjust the clutch that slop/free play is gone and therefore the clutch actuation(at the lever) feel different. That's because it is different now that the clutch plate are thinner/worn compared to when they were new.

If you're feeling anything other than this, after a proper adjustment, I would say you need to take the primary apart and inspect the clutch components.

Is the inner lip at the derby cover/clutch inspection plate cracked or unusually worn?
    Does anything that you can see, through said cover look out of whack?

There's only so much "inspecting" you can do without removing the primary cover.

Anyway, let us know about the cable adjustment. If you can change the free play at the lever with the adjuster and lock nut mechanism and it stays as you've set it, and the clutch pull actually helps you change gears, then I would move on to the inner workings of the primary.

I have ad's the clutch and clutch cable feel good. I'm just worried about being able to spin the cable with jam nut locked.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12