Thread: Aftermarket Springs - What are people using?

Aftermarket Springs - What are people using?

Hello all,
    First post here, long time lurker. I just suplememted my Hayabusa with an hero blue '03 XB9R with 14K on the clock. This is my third Buell, (tube frame Lighting, 04 XB12R). I went looking for another Super-moto and against my better judgment I also went and test rode the Firebolt. I'd forgotten how fun these bike are and how great they are around town. I bought the bike on the spot even though future parts availability scares the crap outta me.
    Anyway, the bike has a blown right side fork seal. I figure that since I have to take things apart to replace the seals this might be a good time to upgrade the front springs. I'd like to know what people favor using on these bikes. I'm considering the Hyperpro progressives or the Racetech's. I'm about 210 lbs ready-to-ride and like to try and wear out the outsides of the tire as much as the centers. Any suggestions?

Sonic springs is a small company with the best customer service around. They've only got a couple tube frame models listed for buell's, but they do make custom springs. Give them a shout and see what they say! You'll be really happy with the service you get from them.

http://sonicsprings.com/catalog/index.php

Thanks for the tip Fatty,
    Sonic sounds like the kind of company I prefer to deal with. I've sent Sonic a note with my application, riding style, and appropriate weights. I'll post here with what they recommend.
    I haven't washed the bike since I bought it due to the fork oil making such a mess of things, time to get this fixed. I'm considering going with a translucent Valencia Orange airbox cover and wind screen to to tart the bike up a little. I think the orange will look nice with the Hero Blue. My wheels are natural color so I might try some of those as-found-on-eBay Chinese sticker kits for the wheels to tie things together. One bike I was looking at had the sidewalls of the tires done up with several colors of plasti-dip. This looked killer! My tires are brand new though and I'd rather not take 'em off at this point.
    "Money can't buy happiness but it can buy a motorcycle. It's hard to be sad on a motorcycle"

Hello again,
    On Fatty SS's recomendation I contacted Sonic Springs and recieved a response back from Rich. Sonic has never done springs for an XB but said the competitors springs for this bike seem to be made to a pretty standard set of dimensions. Sonic did request some dimensions off a stock spring to verify. Does someone have a set of stock springs out of an XB9R they could measure and provide me with the overall legnth and OD on? I'd sure appreciate it. Thanks

"Money can't buy happiness but it can buy a motorcycle. It's hard to be sad on a motorcycle"