Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Powder coating rim

Powder coating rim

So I just got the front rim back from the powder coater today and I'm a little pissed. I asked them to tape off the area that the rotor mounts to. They did not and I had to clean up the area around the bearings. The spacers will still fit in with the square part and the springs slide in (luckily threads were at least protected). Will the extra bit of material due to the coating mess with the rotor alignment and therefore breaking or uneven pad ware? Or is it negligible? Appreciate any insight.

I've decided to have them re-coat the rim. Just don't feel comfortable with it. Needs to be a machined surface to mount to

Banned
    You can cut off excessive powdercoat material using a blade.

Also, aircraft paint remover will take it off.

Just shave it off with a razor blade. They will have to before they recoat it anyway.

You did pull out the wheel bearings before, right??

Yes I pulled the bearing and completely stripped the rim. I figured aircraft remover and a blade would do the trick. I'm just pissed that I gave specific instructions for those areas to not be coated and they still were. I paid good money to have it done right so I was going to have them strip the rim and do it again the way I asked. However I don't know if I want to be that much of a jerk and instead just take care of it myself

If they were told to mask it off, that's one thing. Besides a Powdercoat shop should know not to Powdercoat a machined surface on a cast part.

Pretty much what I thought. I know Buell front rims are not the industry norm but it shouldn't be hard to distinguish a machined surface or mounting area

This is kinda after the fact.... But next time you have any motorcycle rim powder coated you want to leave the bearings in to protect the bearing surface.... You will also want to put screws with a washer into the rotor and pulley/sprocket holes.

Doing it this way will help with the clean up... And keep your rims running true.

So should you change the bearings after the powdercoating or just have them taped off?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast