Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Went to the drag strip, found nothing but trouble

Went to the drag strip, found nothing but trouble

A couple weeks ago I took my 04 12S to the drag strip to get a couple runs in. Anytime Id hit about 4,500 rpms the bike would stutter and lose all pull. After getting my drag slip I could wind first gear out to the rev limiter no problem, it only happened when I was on the track. After getting the bike home that night I used carb cleaner to test for an intake seal leak. The bike started acting real bad after this test so I plugged in ECMspy and didn't find anything really wrong but reset my TPS while I was there. After letting the bike warm up and setting my RPMs I saw that my TPS was set pretty high at 8.5. I did a short test ride the next day and the bike was really jumpy. it stuttered and cut in and oout all over the power band now. I pulled the rear plug figuring I fouled it with cleaner and sure enough she was bad. It's taken 2 weeks to research, receive and install the new seals, plugs and wires. After getting it all together late last night I took a quick little ride around the neighborhood. The bike still has this bad jumpy-ness. Im thinking its my fuel filter now but Id rather not pull that if its something else. Anybody have any ideas?

What ECM are you using?

Just stock ECM but it does have a gutted pipe and K&N with airbox mod

I had a similar issue when my EBR ECM went haywire. The fix was to replace the ECM. The only way to tell if your ECM is bad is to swap it out with a spare if you have one lying around and see if the troubles persist. I happened to have my OEM ECM handy so I was able to swap out and realize that it was indeed the EBR ECM that was bad.

Hey Grego, wouldn't my ECMSpy let me know if my ECM is on it's way out. Also, the bike has 19k miles on it. Just double checking before I drop money on a new one. Thanks for the input.

When my ECM went bad it threw no codes, just went bonkers, impossible to detect. My buddy, who repairs Buells, told me it is a known issue with EBR ECMs. If your ECM says "for race use only" on it that would indicate its an EBR module, and it may be the problem. If it really is the OEM ECM though, I doubt that is your problem.

Inactive
    confirm: so you set your TPS with ecmspy or similar to the range of 5.1-5.5 (i prefer 5 .1) and a bit later you find that the value is now at 8.5 in conjunction with 1000 rpm warm curb idle speed? faulty tps unit or ecm.

Just checked to make sure and it is stock. Guess I'll check the fuel filter in the next few days. Thanks for the help Grego

Yeah I set the TPS to 5.1, let the bike run and set RPMs and TPS was at 8.1.

Just an update. I've put my stock pipe back on the bike in case there could be a back pressure issue. I've added STP fuel treatment if there was any moisture in the fuel tank. I've turned the active muffle control back on and wiped my ecm and installed the stock xb12 tune. All in all the bike is running slightly better but it's still not great. I picked up a replacement fuel filter and plan on digging into that tomorrow. I've rode a few miles and found that I'm still losing power around the 5k rpms mark. Just like the bike acted when I had an intake leak. I keep yall updated on the progress.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast