Thread: 06 xb12s lightning voltage regulator upgrade/ replacement

06 xb12s lightning voltage regulator upgrade/ replacement

I have read all kinds of threads and posts on replacing the voltage regulator on 1125s and triumphs,and others, with a mosfet rectifying regulator from a Kawasaki, or whatever, and my biggest concern with this is damaging the bikes' ecm, or other sensitive electronics, sending units, sensors, ect.... what gives? the mod makes sense in theory, and obviously has worked/ is working for our friends on other bikes, and I, personally, have a fried vr, so I have been researching the solution, only to become more hesitant on spending 150.00 for a oem replacement. I see a lot of our fellow buellers break down with the same problem, and spend a lot of time, and money on this issue when we should be in the wind. I am curious to find out what the senior members, here, that know all the facts, and functions of my bike, and possibly yours if you are reading this, have to say on the issue. I am a novice to buells. I love mine. I am the only one that works on it. I bought it new, and the first thing to go wrong, which brought me to this forum, was having it backfire, then refuse to start. the responses to my very first post were immediate, and plentiful, with a simple, unanimous remedy of replacing the stock plugs with irridiums..... problem solved. so through the years I have always been out here reading every ones issues, and remedies, and have gained so much knowledge, and resources for our beloved buells, I thank you all, sincerely. so forgive me for being long winded, I rarely post unless I have a problem, or a topic that deserves some clarification. the questions: is this mod practical and safe for the xbs, ulys, bolts and blasts ? what is the best unit to use, a mosfet r/r or a switching r/r? what is the best way to connect this unit, strait to the battery with an inline fuse, or into the factory wiring? what type of connections to use, solder and shrink tube, or sealed connectors like the ones that give us so much grief? what are our resources, preferences,availability, and prices for this "upgrade". I personally have an idea of what I think will work the best as far as connections-[ direct-fused-soldered-harness bypassed to draw power from the fuseblock], but that's me. I am looking into the switching type r/r and will hope for some fact based opinions, and posts....in one place, or thread, so that everybody can benefit from our combined experience, and knowledge without having to tediously search, and sift though several other things to piece together information that is not specific to our buells. things that work fine on other bikes sometimes tend to awaken the gremlins in ours. thank you for bearing with me throughout this post, and I wish you all safe journeys, and good health.

WOW! I can't believe you haven't gotten any responses on this post. I'm having intermittent charging issues on my XB9SX. Like you, I have found that this seems to be a common problem on the Buells. I'm also looking for a possible different solution than replacing my OEM VR with another OEM VR. I hope you got your bike fixed.

Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by lancruza View Post
    good info if you're an 1125 buell owner. worthless if you're an XB/blast owner. the OEM XB VR is a reliable quality piece proven across the board on 10's of millions of assorted H-D models thru the decades. i know of no aftermarket unit that is more robust or reliable than the OEM. having it feed a quality fully charged battery, attending to its wiring harness every now and again to check the connections, and shimming it out and away from the front header adds to its longevity. charging system "problems" as you stated are no more common in the XB world than they are in any other brand of bike or H-D model.