Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: coach me: 09' xb12Scg Oil/Air/plugs

coach me: 09' xb12Scg Oil/Air/plugs

Hey Team!

I'm about to change my oil, air, and plugs. I watched the oil change video on youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SMuEHcP6iws
    This looks like it's the previous motor. Do I still have 2 places to change or is it shared oil?

I have the Hawk exhaust and stock ECM. Is there a preferred oil, filter, and air filter?

No problems with the bike minus a hesitation when i push the ignition button (like starved for power). Is there a preferred Plug?

Sorry for the rookie questions. I'm still a Newb to Buell and am in LOVE! This bike is way better than any of the pure sport bikes I've had.

Thanks,
    Jesse

ps. see the bike here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YAhYJ-pJBPw

Your bike is the same procedure to change the oil as that video. Some suggest to change the primary every other time you change the engine oil.

Amsoil 20w-50 vtwin
    Wix 51394
    K&N BU-9003
    PM me for Bluetooth info!
    Facebook.com/BuellBluetooth

buellmods.com

download the manuals here ^

AZmidget gave you the correct #s

the search feature at the upper right of the forum home page is your friend. Many, many threads on this.

Inactive
    oil full drain/motor/swingarm.....2.5 US quarts. any top quality 20-50 will suffice.
    trans/primary share same fluid...full drain...1 US quart. any top quality MOTORCYCLE SPECIFIC 20-50 will suffice. i prefer amsoil. it MUST have minimum JASO-MA rating and/or compatible with a wet clutch.
    plugs: NGK DCPR9EIX preferred. last the life of the motor.
    your hesitation: i call it compression bump....very common to all large displacement high compression v-twins with no factory type of compression release. a top quality battery and pristine terminals resolves most of it.
    lastly....2 things: 1-your primary and swingarm drain plugs interchange and are 5/8th hex. REPLACE the O-ring on each prior to installation. a few cents each at any hardware/auto parts store. 2-the plugs very tedious to install correctly on an XB. when you get to that point post back and i will walk you thru it. the manual is all over the map for this procedure.

Watch that you don't over tighten drain plugs. I believe the torque spec in vids are incorrect but I would seek confirmation from senior member. I stick to hand tight plus 1/4 turn. Just my two cents a lot of threads about fixing stripped threads

Im new to Buell as well.

The torque specs on all the buell xb videos are from the service manual. If you have an after market exhaust, I've read you should flash your ECM with a the race eeprom. It will run lean and at the least ruin your plugs, worst blow the motor due to exsesive heat. The updated ECMspy software is very particular in what it will let you do to the ECM. I personaly have had a much better experence using "Buelltooth" software...

Good luck!

No such thing as Buelltooth software. They just make Bluetooth dongles, that can be used with ECMDroid which is nowhere near as capable as ECMSpy or TunerPro. ECMSpy for mono will allow you to do more than ECMDroid will.
    PM me for Bluetooth info!
    Facebook.com/BuellBluetooth

Quote Originally Posted by JarBuell View Post
    Im new to Buell as well.

The torque specs on all the buell xb videos are from the service manual. If you have an after market exhaust, I've read you should flash your ECM with a the race eeprom. It will run lean and at the least ruin your plugs, worst blow the motor due to exsesive heat. The updated ECMspy software is very particular in what it will let you do to the ECM. I personaly have had a much better experence using "Buelltooth" software...

Good luck!
    You never want to run any engine lean. That is a formula for disaster.
    Jack-O-Lantern
    2006 Buell XBRS LightningBolt
    http://www.buellxb.com/forum/album.php?albumid=129

Lunatic - thanks again. You always seem to be the one to help bail me out. I'm going on another night ride in a few minutes. I wasn't able to find any poor connections to my tail light that phased. Not in the bulb or at the battery. I'm not good with electronics though.
    I'll be checking this and the dimming issue i had with the headlights before. This time I'll have the GoPro on my helmet. If it's still doing it, I'll be able to make a private video and show you what it's doing exactly.

If you have a fix, maybe you could do the same back? Thank you sir.

Holy Moley aka Messy Jolay

Inactive
    always my pleasure jesse and enjoy your ride. XB lighting problems typically an easy fix.

Last edited by user_deleted; 07-10-2016 at 11:16 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast