Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: STRONG smell of gasoline!

Ok i bought the nicer filter... the K & N. Before i put the seat back on I was going to warm up the bike and change the oil. The positive point smoked a bit. I figured there was just something on there... i tried again and the screw into the battery got red hot... then melted some of the battery! How in the world am I grounding out!?? I'm hoping one of the wizards on here can call me. I'm no electronics guy amd am fully stressed out over this. I just spent too much $$ on the new Icon Hypersport pants and Hypersport Prime jacket... if i woild have known this was going to happen I wouldn't spend the money. Please ... please help. I'm now grounded as i dont have a truck to be able to get myself to a shop.

Holy Moley
    2009 Buell Lightning xb12scg in Hero Blue

Guys.. help!
    I changed the air filter to the K & N. I cliped everything back down and didn't put the hero blue cover back on. I was going to warm up the SCG to change the oil the way the video instructs us to. The positive point on the battery smoked a bit. I thought it may be just fiz or something. I tried again and the screw into the batrery turned red and then melted a bit of the battery where it connects to the cable. How the heck am I grounding out. I know you can't see this but I can't upload pictures from my phone. I just spent the money to get more riding gear so I'm down on finds. Icon hypersport prime jacket and Hypersport pants. I don't have a truck or trailer so I'm grounded until I get her rolling again. Please message me so one of you can call me. I hope it's one of the wizards.

Holy Moley
    2009 Buell Lightning xb12scg in Hero Blue

The Icon Hypersport Prime is a nice jacket! I was going to get one myself recently����

Since it's not still currently (PUN!!!!) smoking and burning to the ground (another PUN!!!) it's not technically a "short to ground"

Get a voltmeter and put it on the battery. Start it and you should have 13.5-14.7 Volts at 2500rpm. If you have more volts, turn it off immediately and buy a voltage regulator. While you are waiting for it to show up, check the '77' connector and stator (search).

It could be something as simple as a very low battery and loose battery connection causing resistance in that part of the circuit.

Let it cool down. Make sure the battery has 12.75volts or more, charge it with a charger (a battery tender is not a charger). Make sure the battery connections are CLEAN by removing them and CLEANING THEM, then tighten well and start it. 13.5-14.7 volts?

My connections look immaculate at the battery. Ya the jacket and pants are so rad.... unfortunately they still have the tags on. I've gone from stressed and mad ... to sad in a very short time.

sooooo....

You got a voltmeter?

I'm not sure what that is.

Then call a mechanic and take your bike to a shop.

Good luck man

I don't have a truck to get it there either. I can get a bolt meter and figure out how to use it. Part of the reason i chose Buell is because of how "easy they are to work on". The only volt meter I have looks more like a screw driver. It's just kinda yes or no... there isn't any guages

Yes Buells are very "easy to work on".
    No offense, but I'm afraid if you don't know even what a voltmeter is, you won't know how to fix the problem I help you diagnose.

Call a buddy, call AAA, It's not up to us to find you a pickup truck either.

If you're willing to actually give it some effort, I'll help you.

First. Go look through any car, gun, off road magazine. Find the big ad from Harbor Frieght tools and take out the coupon for the FREE voltmeter.

Second. Go to Harbor Frieght tools and get your FREE voltmeter.

Third. Turn on the voltmeter

Fourth. Set it to 20VDC

Fifth. Put the red lead on the (+) side of the battery and the black lead on the (-) side of the battery. The meter should say 12.0 to 12.75.

Sixth. If it does then Start the bike and rev it to only 2500rpm. The meter should read 13.5 to 14.7. If it reads higher, shut off the bike immediately. Buy a voltage regulator from someone on here in the parts section (or eBay) and post here. I'll tell you where it is and how to swap it.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast