Thread: Can it be built? And would it be worth it?

Can it be built? And would it be worth it?

Alright fellas I'm having one of my likely dumb ,brainstorms. Id likeopinions and expertise regarding the building of a high ci. Larger cam "super" high performance N/A buell engine.
    Can one build a reliable motor that makes substantially more power than my piped and tuned motor?
    Is it worth the power gain/ what is the potential expense?
    What kind of power improvements are likely?

I guess I am imagining like a1250 kit and bigger cams. stock? compression and a dyno tuned race ecm.

There's a 1450 kit. And you can get the heads done and high performance cams. The 1450 "big bore" kit requires machine work on the engine cases.
    From what I was told the 1450 kit requires a bit of ECM tuning and isn't the most street friendly build.
    Call up NHRS or rev performance and they'll be able to tell you everything about such a build.

That's the one I was actually just reading about chicken. I've never dealt with having any machine work done, or having engines built. Any idea beyond the cost of the kit itself what the machine work and other labor might cost?

I know I should just call them, but I'm kinda hoping some one on here who has built one might chime in for some "real life" cost estimates. Sometimes the builders give you a price, but in reality it ends up being much more. ..
    Last edited by BuellyBagger; 07-19-2016 at 01:16 AM.

I did a 1250 kit, cams, lightened/balanced flywheel, and stage 2 head work to my xb12r. Was about 4K after everything was said and done. And that was with ME putting everything back together.
    The gaskets and little consumable things add up.
    It's only worth it if you love your bike THAT much.
    I'll never sell my bike because of this build I did. I'll NEVER get my money back.

If I had it all to do over... .... I'd buy a used 1125 in great shape for the same price.
    But that's a different a animal than the torque monster Buell XB.

It's hard to push any engine architecture beyond its engineered design, without sacrificing something. Big power gains can be had, but the cost is pretty high.
    Why are you only interested in a NA motor? Forced induction will still cost a lot, but you will see bigger gains, heck, you're building a whole motor anyway right?

image.jpg
    Last edited by Cooter; 07-19-2016 at 02:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Chicknstripn View Post
    I did a 1250 kit, cams, lightened/balanced flywheel, and stage 2 head work to my xb12r. Was about 4K after everything was said and done. And that was with ME putting everything back together.
    The gaskets and little consumable things add up.
    It's only worth it if you love your bike THAT much.
    I'll never sell my bike because of this build I did. I'll NEVER get my money back.

If I had it all to do over... .... I'd buy a used 1125 in great shape for the same price.
    But that's a different a animal than the torque monster Buell XB.
    I do love my ULY, its the only new vehicle/toy ive ever bought and i plan to keep it. It does sound like I'd have to spend some time saving my pennies before i can pull off such a build though. I'd considered an 1125 as a second bike, but really do love the XB engine and would be awesome if my ULY was more of a monster.

It's hard to push any engine architecture beyond its engineered design, without sacrificing something. Big power gains can be had, but the cost is pretty high.
    Why are you only interested in a NA motor? Forced induction will still cost a lot, but you will see bigger gains, heck, you're building a whole motor anyway right?
    A supercharger would be sweeeeet, but not a lot of great options for buells that ive found, would be one heck of a build.

the advice is appreciated as usual fellas! I'm going to keep dreaming, maybe if i dont have to spend anymore money on my damn boat for a year or so i can build a motor for Buella!

I'm pushing 200HP more than stock on my car.
    It's fun as hell, but it was expensive to do it right.
    Jack-O-Lantern
    2006 Buell XBRS LightningBolt
    http://www.buellxb.com/forum/album.php?albumid=129

My opinion isn't worth much, but I'll share it... My research has concluded that best bang for buck is to rework the heads and upgrade cams. The flywheel lighting mentioned by Chicken is interesting. Can any machine shop do it, or would a guy have to find a Harley specific type of joint?