Thread: Steering Damper for XB 12S Lightning?

Lightbulb Steering Damper for XB 12S Lightning?

Hello my name is Fred and I am new to the forum. My son has recently bought a 2004 XB 12S. It is fantastic bike but does have some steering wobble above 100mph. He is getting the matter investigated (changing tyres etc) but as his father I would like him to have a steering damper fitted as well. The trouble is we live in the UK and no one seems to make/supply a damper for the S model. Has anyone found a damper for an S - or know of anyone who makes a modification for a more readily available damper. Thanks for any help you can give - and have fun on your Buells!

Inactive
    fred: it should not "wobble" at any speed. highly recommend it be investigated and tuned out of the bike. popular XB series dampers used by board members include storz, LSL. if they are still in business check over your way with trojan-horse.co.uk. they offered a popular damper a few years ago.
    tuned out as follows and i'm assuming here by "wobble" you're referring to a flutter of the handlebar grips aka head-shake at this high speed.....as opposed to a longitudinal shake of the bike which is ALWAYS an out-of-balance-tire:
    1-incompatible F&R tires
    2-front tire heavily worn and/or torn radial belt
    3- front tire installed incorrectly with rain grooves pointed in wrong direction....see sidewall arrow.
    4- faulty wheel bearings
    5-faulty steering neck bearings top and bottom
    6-a windscreen/shield of some sort installed that's incompatible with the bikes' aero characteristics.
    7-faulty rear swingarm bushings (extremely rare)
    8-incorrectly torqued or loose front axle.

I use a GPR steering stabilizer on my S. Its pretty clean looking, and works well. If you can find one on the cheap, GPR sells the kit to fit it to an XBS from another motorcycle brand.

Hey global eyes I have the xb12ss , where would the GPR steering stabilizer fit? Is it one of the long tube type or the dial type that connects on the handle bar lock down bracket ? Thanks

Chiba, some of the guys on here used the econo tube types and did a good job with it. Search the Google box you should be able to find the threads. If not I'm sure they will jump in here sooner or later and paste the link for you. As John said, the machine should not shake its head, do what he suggested FIRST! Do not put a damper on until the situation is resolved, it would only be a band aid

This is the thread:
    https://www.buellxb.com/forum/showth...teering+damper

I agree 1000% with the above, to FIX the problem before you band-aid it with a damper.
    That said, I am very very happy with how the cheap one works on my STT. Sourcing the 56mm clamp was interesting, and I would highly recommend the set screw as well.

Welcome, Fred! Great advice from the folks above. Make sure to get your son on the forum as well. Do you ride together? If so, what kind of bike do you have?