Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Why Buy a Buell Firebolt XB12R?

Banned
    If I would have a second chance to buy a motorcycle again I would not buy Buell XB because it has a bunch of issues I should spent time on to fix it instead of riding it. Maybe I would buy a new EBR because it could be more reliable, but I don't know.
    Last edited by TPEHAK; 07-29-2016 at 07:43 AM.

So you bought your bike brand new and it had issues?
    Or you bought a used bike and it had issues?
    I know the first senerio is not the case and the second senerio is not the bikes fault. It all depends on how that bike was treated and maintained before it became yours.

Banned
    I bought used low mileage motorcycle in good condition, I replaces the oil and performed all necessary adjustments and checks, it had no issues for first 5000 miles, then the issues started to come. I believe replacing battery each year, replacing starter, replacing clutch components, replacing engine gaskets, replacing two engine front isolators first 15000 miles, fixing rubbed electrical wires and throttle cables because of poor cable management, replacing leaking breather hoses etc are not the parts of standard maintenance for first 10000-15000 miles, but it happened. Standard maintenance each 5000 miles is not a big deal if you have all necessary tools for this, but the motorcycle needs much more.

So I do not recommend to buy Buell XB except you are ready to spend money and time to fix it. Owning a bunch of special tools and equipment is a must if you are going to own a Buell. And not all the issues with the Buell are easy to fix.

Also I do not recommend to take Buell for long trip, it just can die in the middle of the road because of hundred reasons. Buell XB has definitely a bunch of things need to be improved and I believe EBR is more reliable motorcycle because of all this previous experience, I hope.
    Last edited by TPEHAK; 07-29-2016 at 02:19 PM.

Sounds like you should sell it

That really sucks.
    My bike was virtually trouble free up to 20k.
    Then I had a rocket box leak.
    I let that go for a little too long so then about 5k after that fix the cooling fan went out.
    But I was real lucky. Those repairs were taken care of via warranty. Bike was covered for 3yrs or 36k whichever came first.
    Then about a year after all that mess my crank went out.
    The crank repair, complete engine tear down, was the only thing I needed any special tools for. I hadn't had any clutch issues so never needed those tool.

Anyway, sorry your bike has put a bad Buell taste in your mouth.
    They are finicky things.

However, I will say, some members have had over 50k trouble free. And I will admit, the things I've gone through with my bike have all been self inflicted.
    I don't baby my bike at all!

Quote Originally Posted by oh9bolt View Post
    Sounds like you should sell it
    That was my initial thought when I read the first post about going back and not buying it in the first place.

I would never sell mine!

Same^^

10 Buells forsale $100,000 any takers?

I would but the dog just died, my house fell down and i just contracted galloping knob rot but as soon as i am back on my feet i would like them! ha ha ha sorry if you are being serious though!

Even after mine self destructed after only owning it a few months. After the pricy time consuming rebuild that probably never would of happened if the PO took care of it. I will not ever sell this bike. I may end up getting an insurance payout or giving it to one of my kids but never sell.

After my rebuild the engine has 10K on it. I fixed a base gasket that started leaking surly on and I F'ed up a upper o-ring on the rocker box on the fix but that was on me so ended up doing it twice. I had to replace the clutch and stator which I should have done when I did the rebuild which is on me. Don't cut corners is try to save money on any bike.

10K trouble free miles...

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast