Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Why Buy a Buell Firebolt XB12R?

Why Buy a Buell Firebolt XB12R?

Hello everyone, Im currently in the market for a new bike for the first time since i was 20 years old (had a 06 R1), Now as much as i liked the R1 it just seemed like everyone else had it or something very similiar. Not to mention the community around these japanese sport bikes was a bit "lacking" i guess to put it nicely.

Every now and then i would see a smaller sport bike with a much cooler look than my bike i would pull up and read "Buell" on the gas tank, i would think to myself what is that? Fast forward 9 years, I have been without a motorcycle since that 1 year i had with my R1 and now i am in a position to get a bike again (the wife has approved is what i meant to say).

So I've been looking alot into cafe racers because of there sort of rareness no one cafe is like the next kind of thing. But ive got a lingering taste in my mouth for the Buell Firebolt, it has never left me and ive prolly seen maybe a handful in the past 9 years.

So please everyone why should i buy a Buell? (speaking more technically ) id like to know some Pro's and Con's besides the fact that i love the way they look, and i felt way to small on my R1 im 5'9 160 lbs, and i feel the buells are smaller not only in wheel base but possibly in seat height?

http://www.buellxb.com/forum/attachm...&thumb=1&stc=1
    00N0N_bNVRsLXMWfU_600x450.jpg

This is the Firebolt im looking at right now

07 firebolt xb12r with 7500 miles on it for $4000 OBO local bike right now the road from me

@ 5'9" you should be plenty tall for a firebolt. All the seat height and other specs are easily googled... Myself i have decided not to buy another bike unless i can spend the better part of a day or at least a couple hours riding it. Try and find one @ a dealer or maybe you can befriend the seller even. and just take a bolt out and seee how it suits you. and do some shopping, finding a well cared for bike is very important, but there are also some super cheap buells if you dont mind fixing up a few odds and ends.

You're on the right website for a good Buell recommendation.
    They have their quirks, but that makes them endearing. Just like their owners....

One suggestion I would make is to try and find an 08+ bike.
    The charging system, idle/timing control, crank, oiling system and brakes are all upgraded compared to whats on a 2007 and older bike.
    When you go to check out your future Buell make sure you take an inspection mirror and a telescopic magnetic probe. Use the mirror to check rocker box, head and base gaskets. Use the magnetic probe to check for metal inside the swing arm(oil tank).
    Check that the internal thread to the oil drain plug have not been stripped. You should not be able to loosen it by hand.
    Check the front rotor for excessive wear. Those rotors ARE NOT CHEAP TO REPLACE!
    Take the bike for a ride. If the idle is erratic it could have an intake leak or an issue with the TPS/IAC valve or related system. Deal breaker for someone that knows nothing of Buells but simple fixes. Especially with the help of this forum.
    Check the wheel bearings too. Wheels should spin freely, not feel knotchy, and have now latetal(side to side) movement.
    If the brakes pulsate, the rotor is either warped or the front caliper needs to be rebuilt. Again, this is not a deal breaker but should reflect in savings off asking price.
    Keep us post.
    Even though I suggested an 08 and newer machine you buy what you want.
    Just make sure you scrutinize the machine before you make it your responsibility.
    Good luck
    Last edited by Chicknstripn; 07-25-2016 at 05:29 PM.

As a benchmark (for what it's worth), I recently pulled the trigger on an '08 XB12R Firebolt with 11k miles. Traveled 4 hours to look at it as the pics looked good and it had somewhat low miles. Other than a cold start and thorough "look over", did nothing else and was able to get it for $3,600 (he was asking $3,800).

In a nutshell, here's what I've had to put into it so far....

1. New rear brake switch. Rear brake light only went on with lots of pressure. Lunanticfringe and others helped me fix myself. $30.00 part, labor, brake bleed.
    2. Replaced rear brake pads. $30 + labor
    3. New battery. $100
    4. New muffler actuator cable + paid dealer labor. Total parts and labor - $125. Before buying the owner told me the only modification was he disconnected to actuator cable and tied open the muffler valve. I guess for more upper end pull and less low end torque. I wanted it back to 100% stock. Couldn't use the old cable as it was partially damaged at the muffler end.
    5. Fresh oil and filter - $60
    6. Lots of labor and S100 cleaning and re-cleaning. It's spotless now.

So about $350 and some labor went into it to get it right.

The front brake does cause a bit of pulsating so either the rotor is bent a bit or the caliper is a problem. I haven't changed the front pads but i don't think they are the problem. It's not that bad so I'm not doing anything with it now.

I fu***** love the bike! Go for it.

In hindsight, I probably could have gotten it for a little less if I noticed some of these problems before buying.
    Last edited by capebay23; 07-25-2016 at 07:04 PM.

FYI a slight vibration on a Buell front brake is sometimes caused from brake dust build up. SOMETIMES this is the case and a little cleaning with Emory cloth or a fine scotch bright fixes the issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Chicknstripn View Post
    FYI a slight vibration on a Buell front brake is sometimes caused from brake dust build up. SOMETIMES this is the case and a little cleaning with Emory cloth or a fine scotch bright fixes the issue.
    Would a drenching of brake cleaner solvent help?

Wow guys what great amount of help and support I feel at home already, if I was on the fence or not I'm fully over the fence now and ready to be a member of this community. I will reply to your specific posts now.

Will hopefully be freind this guy a little bit he seems freindly enough to let me take it for a couple hours if not longer, I will offer him to hold half the cash or something after my initial up and down the street test ride to make sure it's even functional, and I do not mind putting a little loving into the bike especially at a price point of around 3500$.

I haven't seen any buells at any dealerships in my area currently scanning the extended area. Thanks for all the great tips when purchasing this bike I'll have to get a couple tools to check it out, where would I find a telescopic magnetic probe ? What should I be looking for when checking the rocker box and gaskets? By irratic idle you mean like not a consistent purrrrr right? I'm not expert so using "dumb" terms woild be great!

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast