Thread: 07 Buell XB12Ss Popping from Jardine RT-1 and sputtering/ bucking

Unhappy 07 Buell XB12Ss Popping from Jardine RT-1 and sputtering/ bucking

Hello all, I bought a 2007 Buell Xb12Ss w/ 13000 miles on it exactly a week ago today. I rode it 400 miles over 4 days with no problem. Then it crapped out and I can not figure out why. Sunday was riding with a buddy, went to shift from 1st to 2nd and my gear lever was missing. It appears the bolt that holds the lever to the primary cover worked its way loose and fell out. I replaced the bolt (locktite) and after starting it back up its running like ****.

Symptoms: Popping out of intake (airbox removed I can see flames pop up from underneath the throttle blade), as soon as I put it in gear it bucks like I'm at the rodeo, under WOT it momentarily runs good and then falls flat on its ass, just sitting at idle the exhaust is making a different pop/ rattle noise.

Since Sunday I have replaced the spark plugs, sprayed brake clean to check intake seals (sound good),cleaned out the throttle body, and checked all the visible wires for chafing.

I am completely stumped on this one. For 4 days there were 0 problems, shift lever falls off and now it won'r run for ****? I mean I was at a red light went to shift, revved it up a few time before figuring out the lever was gone, pulled over, towed it home, and now this. I read through 100 pages on this forum and have slept on the buell handbook every night without pinpointing the issue. Anyone think this could be the Jardine? It was already on the bike when I bot it and I've read a lot of cons about the exhaust.

I would start with the basics... reset the TPS...and check your battery and connections. A bad or dying battery can be ugly on these bikes. Or perhaps a loose ground or a grounding wire to something?

Does it sound like this?

https://youtu.be/_xPv_8jJeDc

If so, it probably is the TPS on the way out. This was my bike with the same setup (Jardine pipe, 2009 xb12) when I bought it and it was the TPS on the way out... Never threw a code. The bike eventually would sputter and die, although I could ride it with throttle on it, and it would bog down just like yours does. TPS was replaced with a Duralast part from autozone (you can find part number on this forum).

Part Crossreference thread:
    http://www.buellxb.com/forum/showthread.php?26310-Parts-cross-reference-thread

Last edited by ocgreenmachine; 08-19-2016 at 04:50 AM.