Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Drummer vs. Jardine

Can't speak for the Drummer but the Jardine I just put on my 09 12Ss pops a lot during deceleration. I went with the Jardine mainly to save a bit more weight plus I didn't want to be down for a couple of weeks while I waited to get the drummer made.

My Drummer pops on decel too. From what I understand the stocker pops as well, it's just not as noticable as it is with an aftermarket pipe.

I have put about 5000mi on my Jardine and have no complaints. Most say you need to repack after about 5000mi, but I have not noticed any changes yet, I think it depends alot on how you ride. I mainly commute with mine so not a lot of high rpm's.

Squires,

Make sure your checking the pop rivits. make sure there not streching the metal. I have the Alum canister and it happened to me. Plus it's hard to tell but once you repack the pipe it gets a bit softer sound.

My ? will HD do all the the ECM work and installation work on a new Drummer on my 09 Xb12R

Hawk wins.

My ? will HD do all the the ECM work and installation work on a new Drummer on my 09 Xb12R
    Chances are a big fat NO unless you happen to come across the extremely rare circumstance of having a Buell enthusiest being a tech at a HD stealership.

As for the "re-packing" issues with the Jardines.

DRUMMERS REQUIRE RE-PACKING AS WELL. It goes un-noticed by most as the deterioration of the packing is gradual and most don't notice the sound difference because it's over a period of time. The benefit to a Drummer is if the packing does dissapear, the muffler won't come apart like the Jardine.

Drummer:

*Nice stock look
    *Can still use chin fairing
    *Sweet Billet endcap and tip
    *Still able to use "Jack Points" (not to be confused with "Jack Pot" lol).
    *Sweet Drumming sound (Till packing burns out).
    *re-packing is less frequent due to the design and in not using a typical wrapped core (gives it it's unique sound, but not as much of a performance boost not using a core).

*high price for a gutted stock muffler
    *stock gutted muffler, litterally, it's just a fully gutted muffler with a nice tip and some FIBERGLASS PACKING. Some might be pissed about this, but what kinda magic did you really think was in them?
    *DOES REQUIRE RE-PACKING (even states it on the damn website and offers a higher quality packing option).
    *Mild steel, will rust
    *Still heavy compaired to other systems.
    *should get a re-tune / race ECM. (a given for any aftermarket muffler)

Jardine:

*CHEAP!!
    *SUPER LIGHT WEIGHT (even the aluminum version, and the carbon and Titanium are lighter yet)
    *Can use lower chin fairing.
    *Stainless construction (down tube, core, muffler end caps and tip). Corrosion Resistant.
    *High performing core type muffler
    *sleek and slim Aftermaket look
    *Deep bass exhaust note (when the packing is good)

*Repacking needed (As with ALL fiberglass packed mufflers)
    *Comes apart if you continue to ride after packing has burnt out (neglect).
    *Looks (some don't like it)
    *Sound. It IS LOUD! It's opinion if it's too loud (I don't think it's too loud at all). Has a nice deep BASS note to it.
    *Should get a re-tunee / race ECM (a given for any aftermarket muffler)

At least that's what I've gathered from reading here and there and talking with manufactures (Kev at KD Fab) and owning a Jardine.

To solve the re-pack "problem", if you buy high quality packing such as rock, stainless, or better yet ceramic whool you increase your re-packing intervals SIGNIFICANTLY and in some cases eliminate the need for repacking all together.

As for performance, it depends which bike, 9 or 12.

Hands down the best performers on the 9 of every muffler tested by ASB http://www.americansportbike.com/Exhaust_Shootout.html is the Jardine and much more expensive MICRON. It kicks every mufflers butt from 3.75~4.2K till redline. Even the race muffler. The Jardine doesn't fair so well on the 12.

On the 12, its the Race Muffler for the winner. As for the Drummer. It performs well on the 9, but losses power over stock in the mid range. On the 12 the Drummer falls on its face after 6k and makes less power then stock after that.

The power deliveries are very different on both mufflers and very different depending if you have a 9 or 12.

http://www.buellxb.com/Buell-XB-Foru...ardine-slip-on

Sorry for the long winded post.

~Mike......

Bueller-----Nice write up ! Are your fingers tired from all that typing ? Very informative.

Thanks WALLSXB, ya I didn't realise how long it had gotten and how much time past till I hit "Submit Post" lol.

~Mike.....

Is it hard to install a new muffler and EMC is it just plug and play?

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast