Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: heard a lot of noise on the road today

okay... so many weeks later, I am back at it.
    Here's what happened....
    I successfully replaced the headers with a used set I found on ebay, and did a handful of other small changes. New spark plugs, new O2 sensor, added a voltmeter to the instrument cluster, cleaned up a bunch of wiring, New KN air filter, I did some work on the inner air box creating more air flow, and even added "hood scoop" vents to the outer air box cover, for more free air as well.

Well, a few weeks later I noticed that hot air was leaking from the front header pipe where it was bolted to the motor. I assumed the bolts were coming loose again, but when I tried to tighten them, they were not loose.... BUT that's when I saw a crack in the header near the motor. SO here we go again.... (by the way... upon removal I realized the new headers cracked because I over tightened the bolts to the motor)

This time I bought a new set of headers from Harley, and replaced them again. This time though, I installed the headers and exhaust together with all nuts and bolts loose, and tightened things up a bit at a time here and there until everything sat pretty.

I keep reading people discussing eeprom settings, and "fine tuning" ECM numbers with "custom settings" but I am way in the dark on this, and am afraid I will totally mess things up if I try this. I know I have an aftermarket exhaust, and with the added cold air in, what should I be looking to do with the ECM settings?

Any one have any suggestions???
    Last edited by JonDredd; 11-18-2016 at 03:05 AM.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234