Thread: Cross country with a Lightning?

Cross country with a Lightning?

Would you embark on a 4,000+ mile cross country trip, doing about 5 hours per day over the course of about 2+ weeks on your Lightning?

Inactive
    i would greg @ approx. 250 miles max per day as that's all the seat-time i can bear these days on a lightning or uly....but with a great degree of preparation. that would include a list of H-D dealers enroute with phone numbers....spare perishables to include relays, fuses, tensioner bearings and set of rear wheel bearings (they're small and pack away easily), and if the XB is older than a 2008 model i'd be tempted to replace the fuel pump, PR, and pressure sensor for peace of mind.

Yup, it's really not all that bad! I just got back in July from a 4500 mi road trip! Longest day was 750 miles. If you stay on 2 lane back roads and take a 5 min break every 50 miles even if you don't think you need one right away (you'll thank me later) it's doable.

I just did 3000 miles in 10 days on my '08 Stt. Fuel stops every 90-110 miles and don't forget to stretch! worked perfectly for me. 4000 miles means you should get new tires before you leave (might as well do bearings too).

Also, yes to ndbueller. Stay off any road with more than 2 lanes

There are a few threads on how to prep the bike and what to take. I used surprisingly less clothing than I took, they have stores across the USA to buy whatever you forget and you can always hit up a laundromat and even stop by a PO to send the extra trinkets home. Layers and good gear are mandatory. Plan on some rain. A really nice helmet comm (speakers) is priceless.

Did 1800 miles over 3 days on my Ss a few years ago...longest day was 760 miles. Back and hands were very sore by the time I finished, was only stopping to stretch at gas stops and occasional photo ops. Definitely bring layers/rain gear, basic tools and some spare oil.

Only 5 hours per day sounds about perfect...I would definitely be good with that kind of schedule.

I had no issues, other than a sore butt, riding my 2003 XB9SL from Dallas, TX to Los Angeles, CA in 1 1/2 days. Stayed for 2 days and then made the same trip back. Did the first 1,000 miles to Phoenix, left at about 4am and arrived around 11pm. The 2nd day I started at 7am and arrived by 4pm. Stopped every 130 miles for gas and rested for a small bit.

I had an Alaskan Leather seat cover that helped a little but definitely could have used a lot more cushion. My seat is a custom gel seat thats quite stiff so not sure how the stock seat would do. Also, only had the stock saddle bags for my tools, which included a flat tire kit, spare clutch cable, gas bottle, oil, and an assortment of tools.

I disagree with staying on 2 lane rodes, no clue why you would do that. I took I20 the entire way, averaging about 80-90MPH the entire way. Burned about a quart of oil for the entire trip.

Heres a small album

http://imgur.com/a/guaTT
    Last edited by Cecilsan; 08-17-2016 at 04:14 PM.

Cecilsan looks like you had a good ride! beautiful bike you have there and a lovely dog too!

I'd stay on 2 lane roads because the point is to go there, not to get there

5 hours a day no problem. You can take a 3 hour nap between gas ups and still reach the days end goal, not that you'd need it. You can pack a ton of stuff you might think you need, but the USA is the home of the free and the brave and a Walmart in every town. Pack obvious parts that you think you might need. Lunatic has some good suggestions. If the list gets too long leave your parts at home in a place that a friend or loved one can easily find and overnite to you. I did this with some parts when I rode XC Ca to NY this summer. Belt or big parts, etc leave at home. You'll be ok, make sure you have good comm with the outside world and you'll be fine. Plenty of help on this website too. Good luck!

Inactive
    If the list gets too long leave your parts at home in a place that a friend or loved one can easily find and overnite to you. I did this with some parts when I rode XC Ca to NY this summer. Belt or big parts, etc leave at home.

that right there is outstanding info and in 52 years of riding never considered that concept. very nice.
    two important trip considerations on any bike but particularly a buell: 1-take a spare ignition key. i always do and either carry it in my tank bag or place in tiny plastic bag and tape it securely to an accessible-by-you but well hidden area of the bike that is NOT under the seat. be creative. 2-a small plastic packet with at least 1 size of every blade fuse used on your bike as well as at least 1 relay. they are all the same and 30 amp....take a spare. i tape said bag to front of battery OR place them inside the factory toolkit.