Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Front Muffler Strap Fastener Broken - 2008 XB12R

Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by Theycallmecrash View Post
    Lunatic, Im ashamed of you on this one. You forgot to ask why it broke. The straps dont just break, they snap due to excessive vibrations between the exhaust and engine. The front exhaust mount also has aluminium bushings, that are a wear item. The older these bikes get the more Im seeing this neglected and it WILL break your engine cases if left unchecked. Replace the bushings or the problem will be chronic and worsen over time.
    jacob: i learned a long time ago on here never to ask "how" something happened. it's both counter-productive, a complete waste of my time, and in 98.7% of the instances the person with the problem had no idea "how it happened" or lies about "how it happened". hope that alleviates a bit of the shame factor you incurred.
    Last edited by user_deleted; 08-08-2016 at 02:12 PM.

I ashamed cause we ride Buells

Ok. I took a closer look and found a sheared bolt where the header connects to the motor. Sent photo to local shop and they said they think they can remove it without having to remove the head. Ugh. They informed me since I will have to do this work, it may be good time to put in "new and improved" HD rocker gaskets.

If all goes well, a $300-400 fix.

Seems this may have caused front strap to snap due to increased vibration.

Ordered new straps and front strap mount bushings and will send the bike over to shop when they come in.

Oh well.

There is a special jims tool for drilling out broken stud, chances are the bushings cause the strap and stud to snap. If they cant "extract" the stud the cheapest route is the jims tool and a tap to drill it out.
    DO NOT LET THEM USE AN EXTRACTOR BIT!!!!

The tool looks like this:

Being a "Harley shop" I would hope they are familiar with the repair. I would certainly ask though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dfXVDGameYo

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12